primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OptimaAndy said:
whats in your gun and why?

Remington STS, because I have about 25k of them.

I've run them side x side with Winchesters and Federals and have seen no accuracy difference, nor BP fouling.

when i had inlines i'd keep a few different brands on hand, when i found the load, i would just switch the primer to see if i noticed anything different, good or bad. CCI 209m's really opened up my groups badly. Remington kleanbores and T7 primers shot great and winchester w209s also shot great. The Kleanbores however were dirty as heck and t he T7 primers cost $8 a pack here.

i thought the idea behind the kleenbores were to not foul the breechplug and bore as much as others

the T7 is that per 100

I shoot Blackhorn so I don't use any of the special primers like Remington Kleen Bore or Triple 7. I've tried Remington STS, Federal 209A and CCI 209M. All of them work fine for me. I basically just use whatever is available and don't prefer any specific primer. Although the Federals seem to fit tighter when I close the action on my Encore Endeavor.

I too shoot Blackhorn and use the CCI magnum primers. Dont knoe if there is a difference between regualr and magnums, just happens to be what Sportsmans Warehouse carries most the time

I use the Winchester W209 because they are about all I can get around my place.

With Blackhorn I like the Remington STS and Federal 209A primers. I get the same accuracy with both but the STS seem a little cleaner.

With T7 I shoot the Winchester T7 primers.

Have tried W209 and Fed209a. Both left a lot of primer fouling in my Knight. Just started using Rem STS and definitely cleaner with the NFPJ plug. Tried them today again... after 15 shots in the Elite with BH209:

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Also found to be cleaner in my Omega. But still don't know how they work in cold weather with BH.

Just a heads uo... I was in to different SG stores today looking for some .458/300 bullets... and both places are running low on 209 primers and the supplies do not know wen they will get re-supplied - you can bet it will be after the military..

No I didn't find any .458's either... nada

Winchester 209 with Blackhorn powder and Winchester 777 primers with 777 powder...works for me in my Omega

rt_con said:
Also found to be cleaner in my Omega. But still don't know how they work in cold weather with BH.

FWIW - With BH209, I've shot the STS and 209A primers without any problems in 4 degree weather twice without any problems out my Omega.

I started with Winchester primers in my Knight Elite but after a slight hangfire caused me to miss a nice buck, i switched to CCI Mag. So far, no problems. I'm shooting BH209, using the FPJ breech plug. I'm praying for Knight to release a new bolt and plug that will work in my Elite and LRH that is similar to their soon to be released Ultimate rifle!!!

CCIm with BH209. I've also used Federal 209A without problems. Carbon build up is bad with the CCI so I may try the Federals again to compare.

I have been reading about the higher pressure of 209's moving the charge on occasion and producing a "flyer" as well as the fouling/ring issue. Not coincidentally, one site with "articles", http://www.prbullet.com/, also sells the small pistol(25acp) primer adapter for the T/C as well as a unit called the Variflame that does a similar job.
Has anyone switched over?

I tried Winchester 209 primers in my Triumph along with BH209 powder and had no firing problems. What I did encounter was difficulty closing the trigger unit to lock the rifle before shooting, and also having to pry the spent primer out of the breech plug after shooting. Apparently the Winchester primers are a little longer than the breech plug hole wants to accomodate.
I bought some CCI 209M primers and the trigger unit closed like it is suppose to without a great amount of pressure but still experienced the primers sticking in the breech plug and having to pry them out.
Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what primers have you found that works well BH209 powder and comes out of the breech without having to pry it out with a tool.
Thanks

kyboy41 said:
I tried Winchester 209 primers in my Triumph along with BH209 powder and had no firing problems. What I did encounter was difficulty closing the trigger unit to lock the rifle before shooting, and also having to pry the spent primer out of the breech plug after shooting. Apparently the Winchester primers are a little longer than the breech plug hole wants to accomodate.
I bought some CCI 209M primers and the trigger unit closed like it is suppose to without a great amount of pressure but still experienced the primers sticking in the breech plug and having to pry them out.
Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what primers have you found that works well BH209 powder and comes out of the breech without having to pry it out with a tool.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum kyboy41!

The Winchester W209's are the longest 209's, and average as much as .005" longer than the CCI/CCI mag's and Federal 209A's. There is a primer length chart in one of the stickies up on the top to help you deceide what primer you may want to try, but with BH209 I would stay with the Federal 209A or CCI Mags if the Winchesters are not working well for you.

How much powder, and what bullet are you shooting? When you get up in the 120 gr powder range with 300 gr bullets, your primers will swell more than they will with lighter powder/bullet loads. Give the Federal 209A primer a shot.

GreenMtnHunter said:
I have been reading about the higher pressure of 209's moving the charge on occasion and producing a "flyer" as well as the fouling/ring issue. Not coincidentally, one site with "articles", http://www.prbullet.com/, also sells the small pistol(25acp) primer adapter for the T/C as well as a unit called the Variflame that does a similar job.
Has anyone switched over?

GreenMtnHunter:
This topic has been discussed quite long ago, when the owner of PRBullets, Cecil Epps came out with his aforementioned products. IMO the stuff about the 209 moving the bullet off the charge may be exaggerated.. However I use his .25 ACP in my Omega with T7 and like it...only because it reduces blowback and crud ring.

Now that I'm using BH209, the .25 ACP is not required as there is little blowback and no crud ring... what's more the .25 ACP adapter is not compatable with BH209... causes hangfires.

Latest posts

Back