Pressure signs with 209primers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob L.

Reaction score
I have experience with reloading centerfire rifles but am new to 209primers and bh209 powder.
What signs are you looking for pressure with this setup?
Shooting a Knight Mountaineer 45 cal bare primer bolt action. Cheddite primers are the only ones I could get my hands on.
Thank you and Happy New Year!

Do the Cheddites fit all the way into your breech plug and seat properly? Ive not seen actual over pressure signs from bh209, but expect it will look like stuck primers and bulging centers that have rings around the firing pin indentation.

Primer pressure signs don't show up till after 60kpsi from my reading and experience. I would never depend on those with anything lower than 50kpsi. If you get pressures signs you are already way, way over

Do the Cheddites fit all the way into your breech plug and seat properly? Ive not seen actual over pressure signs from bh209, but expect it will look like stuck primers and bulging centers that have rings around the firing pin indentation.
Bestill is fitting their BP to those primers so I don’t have the muzzy yet but wanted to ask what pressure sign protocol was. Thank you

Primer pressure signs don't show up till after 60kpsi from my reading and experience. I would never depend on those with anything lower than 50kpsi. If you get pressures signs you are already way, way over
Thank you, sounds like if I stay under 120bh by volume may never see pressure then.

209 primers were not even made to handle 25kpsi and i can easily make that kind of peak with BH209. That is the whole reason you have a flash channel and a flash hole. It creates some dwell time for the bullet to leave the muzzle. Take out a vent liner in a plug with removeable vents. Load up even a mild load with a 250gr bullet in a sabot. Just that kind of pressure will flatten a 209 or worse.....Done that and you WILL see pressure signs. Bad ones.

Yes you will see pressure signs with Cheddites, they have a softer thinner cup so be careful they can blank a primer. They are good for working up loads in a shotgun as they show normal pressure signs like regular metallic reloading. And they are about the same strength or power as a win 209. So if you need the 209A primers then the cheddites may not work as well

They will show flattened cups. They are not the same as metallic primers.

Back