Powerbelts or Nosler Partition HG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the only time I have used them so I don't know if I can expect that kind of performance every time. I think she didn't bleed because the entry wound is not blown out and when she moved her shoulder, the skin covered the hole. I did not mention above that the bullet did not exit. She had her leg stretched out before the shot Another reason IMO is also because of the magnum charge I was shooting which gives more energy. The big meadows that I knew I would be hunting meant I would probably be shooting 100 to 150 yards so I wanted at least 1000 ft lbs energy at that distance. Not sure what would have happened at 60 or 70 yards. Just try to match your load to your best guess shooting situation. Even a 45 cal ML can be deadly with the right load/bullet combination.

You might consider trying the new platinum powerbelts. They claim that they should hold together better. I like how they shoot in my gun, but have yet to hit an animal with them.

Any bullet that will plow through an elk shoulder and into the chest cavity is doing its job.

Unfortunately I wouldn't trust every powerbelt to do that.

elkstalkr

Agreed! and I am confident a Nosler partition will do that... on the other a Power Belt really??????

but then again so will an "A" frame, a barnes and some others built for penetration.

I hit a 110 pound (dressed) doe at 90 yards with a 295 Powerbelt and found lung tissue on the ground. The deer was down in 50 yards. Please tell me how this is not acceptable performance.

My 2 cents.

I think we can all agree to disagree. I've never had a bad experience with a Powerbelt, but I have with a Hornady. Then again, a whitetail ain't as tough as an elk. That's why that they make chocolate and vanilla.

A complete shoot-through is nice in certain situations, but when I think about the condition that the shoulder was in of that 10-point that I shot back in October, and remember the way that he went "THUD", it's hard to make the switch.

Lefteye, we're on the same page....if it ain't broke......

Well, the verdict's in. I will stick with the powerbelts for this upcoming season. I went to the range today and shot a few different bullets. I shot the 240gr XTP's, not a great group. Shot the Nosler partition HG, also not happy with the group. Shot the Powerbelts and whamo. Same hole over & over at 50 yards. Dirty or clean barrel it didnt matter. I have shot 4 animals now using them and all were clean kills. I just didnt like the lack of blood trail but all the animals died within 50 yards. My shots will be out to 70 yards max but mostly within 50. My old Knight really likes the Powerbelts so I will use them and save the Noslers for when I get an Omega. Good luck to everyone this season. I will keep everyone posted on the results.
Frank

I hunt in Nebraska also, I have taken 2 deer that were over 265lbs with the shockwaves with superb results. The one was at 80 yds and it went through both shoulders, and the other was at 175yds and almost made it all the way through. Both pushed with 110gr 777 loose. Plus out of my omega I get 1.5in groups at 100yds

This ia a 348gr copper HP Powerbelt pushed by 100 grains of 777 after it hit a Pronghorn shoulder at 125 yds. Dead antelope...yes. The type of bullet performance I prefer...no.

8687944cc9034130de29d36e55793739.jpg

I had the same experience with a 348gr tipped Powerbelt with only a rib that was hit. WOW!!!! What a great group of animals you have shot. Man am I ever inveyous.

last year i shot a 100lb doe at 18 yards ( i know i need to let them get out a bit) with 100grains pyrodex pellets with 295 gr aero tip PB

the deer was a semi quartering to shot

being a bow hunter i tucked that bullet right behind the shoulder blade knuckle (the v spot between the bones)

i knew i hit her she flopped over but jumped up and ran in to the thick stuff

it was 7:15 i was in the stand 10 minutes i let her lay till 10:30am before looking for her

NO blood at impact but tons of hair and a bid body print in the 1/2" of light snow we had

about 40yrds i got tiny dime sized drop of blood and tracks

25 yrds deeper in to the cover she was laying on her side head up trying to get up she was hurt bad but not dead

a .45 acp round in the heart stopped her dead in seconds (here in MICH reg. gun seasn i use a ML but carry a pistol for this)

when i dressed her 1 lung was gone a nice thru hole started behind the left shoulder exited infront of right hip

broke 1 rib but hit NOTHING solid only muscle

i was less then impressed but they shoot so damn good

i was going to switch top 295 lead PBs but figue this year im just going to break the shoulder and waste some meat but i do not want one getting away

JD

rolex dr
I had the same experiance. I shot a doe in the snow. No blood for about 40-50 yards then a few drops and there she lay dead. Perfect shot and a huge hole but very little blood. I am happy with the damage performance (4 animals, none ran over 50 yards) but I dont understand the lack of blood.
frank

Our shotgun season opens on Monday here in Ma. No shotgun for me this year. I went to sight in and i'm not happy with the group. About 8" at 50 yards with a scoped, fully rifled barrel??? (Anyone wanna buy an 11-87 barrel! lol.) My muzzle loader knocks the same hole over and over at 50. So I decided I am going to hunt with my ML during our 2 week shotgun season. After that we have a 2 1/2 week ML season and I will jump back and fourth between the ML & bow. I am looking to take a couple of nice does. I realy want to have a deer processed and give it to the land owner. I already gave him a pile of deer meat from a buck I had taken in October. He loved it and asked for more, so he gets a whole deer if I can make it happen.
Good luck to all,
Frank

Fairchase,

Just imagine if that would have been an elk! He would still be running! Personally horrifes me to think about.

Rolex Dr,

I agree PB's shoot wonderfully, BUT if you look around there are PLENTY of options that are just as accurate with much better performance.

fairchase said:
This ia a 348gr copper HP Powerbelt pushed by 100 grains of 777 after it hit a Pronghorn shoulder at 125 yds. Dead antelope...yes. The type of bullet performance I prefer...no.

8687944cc9034130de29d36e55793739.jpg

Wow! Antelope are tough!! :roll:

That is hard to believe, but it certainly is a good warning for those who use them..

I agree, plenty of other combos out there that will perform better.

Thanks for posting the pic/story..

anyone shoot the PB all lead hollowpoints

reason i ask is i switched from a jacket bullet in my .44 to a hardcast lead and damn the knockdown power was way more dramatic

shot a doe in shoulder with win part gold and no blood

shot a bigger doe wit lead worse shot (more of a bowhunter shot) and pole axed the deer from a longer distance

the lead openend up like 2x the size were the win poked a nice .44 hole

Jamie

still learning on these MLs

Latest posts

Back