1.54 Mile Sniper Shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawgHunter

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05/04 ... uble-kill/

British Hotshot Sniper Kills Two Taliban in Afghanistan Over a Mile Away
Times of London

A British Army sniper has set a new sharpshooting distance record by killing two Taliban machinegunners in Afghanistan from more than a mile away.

A British Army sniper has set a new sharpshooting distance record by killing two Taliban machinegunners in Afghanistan from more than a mile away.

Craig Harrison, a member of the Household Cavalry, killed the insurgents with consecutive shots ? even though they were 3,000ft beyond the most effective range of his rifle.

?The first round hit a machinegunner in the stomach and killed him outright,? said Harrison, a Corporal of Horse. ?He went straight down and didn?t move.

?The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too. They were both dead.?

The shooting ? which took place while Harrison?s colleagues came under attack ? was at such extreme range that the 8.59mm bullets took almost three seconds to reach their target after leaving the barrel of the rifle at almost three times the speed of sound.

The distance to Harrison?s two targets was measured by a GPS system at 8,120ft, or 1.54 miles.

The previous record for a sniper kill is 7,972ft, set by a Canadian soldier who shot dead an Al-Qaeda gunman in March 2002.

In a remarkable tour of duty, Harrison cheated death a few weeks later when a Taliban bullet pierced his helmet but was deflected away from his skull. He later broke both arms when his army vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.

I was watching a show about snipers and they told about the man that held the record this guy just broke. When they showed the distance these people were shooting, I do not know how they could even see the men with binoculars let alone shoot them. Talk about a confidence buster.. here you are a mile and a half from the enemy lines and suddenly you are shot. That would make you think whether you wanted to move forward.

Point of advice, dont believe everything that is printed. Granted, this is a remarkable story, but things dont add up. Muzzle velocity, etc. Not to mention the internal ballistics of hitting a guy in the stomach at that range. I am attacking the distance, not the actual shot. I need to know more before believing this story. Fox News has been known to be wrong in the past.

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-longest-sn ... 7km/14992/

ai-l115a3-longest-sniper-kill-247km.jpg

The previous record holder - Furlong - killed an al-Qaeda fighter from 2.43 km during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan in 2002. Furlong's shot was also legendary ? he made military history

It was just a bit farther than the 2002 record so i can believe it.

Looks like FOX is correct like they have been many times. ;)

cayuga said:
I do not know how they could even see the men with binoculars let alone shoot them.

I read "Shooter" by Jack Coughlan which is an auto boigraphy of a Marine sniper and I thought it was very interesting to learn, among other things that when two snipers work as a team the more expereanced one is generally the spotter and the new guy is the shooter because spoting targets is considered the important /skilled part and shooting is simlpy mechanical, like making a head shot on the driver of a vehicle speeding away at an angle at 500 yards while you are on the back of a moving humvee with midgets beating you with plastic baseball bats. Simple physics :lol: :shock:

Latest posts

Back