Powder Measures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shooter44n45 said:
hawgslayer said:
:D 8) :)

I weighted 2 Pyrodex pellets on a grain scale and they came out around 78/79 grains. By volume they are 100 grains. I weighted APP GOLD, 100 grains in the u-view, comes out to 85 grains on the grain scale. I do not use or have ever used fffg powder...44 cal and below. I shoot a .50 cal...ffg powder only.
The manual for the CVA ACCURA states that the ACCURAS can handle the 3- .50 cal pellets because it will handle the "magnum load". It also states that the MAX LOOSE POWDER LOAD IS 100 GRAINS.
If your using a powder measurer and measure 100 grains of any powder, its 100 grains no matter what. Doesn't matter what kind of powder your using. 100 grains is a 100 grains. :!: :!: :!:
I use the u-view and I weigh all of my chargers. I like to be consistant. All of my premeasured charges are within 1 grain of each other. :yeah:

Why on earth would 150 grain of pellets be ok but not 150 grains of loose powder? makes no sense to me...

The pellets are made to be the equivalent to Black powder, which is less energetic than some of the new BP Subs today, like 777 and Blackhorn 209 for instance.

2 50 gr pellets are the equivalent to 100 grains Black Powder, but it only takes approximately 85 grains of 777 or BH209 to get you the same velocity.

Pellets have a much different burn characteristic than loose powders, if pellets are crushed then the pressures can really be escalated, possibly to dangerous levels in a 3 pellet (max charge) load.

A 150 gr (3 pellet charge) load should be reduced by at least 15% for loose powder loads using 777 and BH209. So that would equate to 150 gr (pellets) x 85% = 127.5 gr loose for a conversion. Most rifle manufacturers set maximum load levels for several reasons, liability being one.

CVA has always published maximum loose powder loads lower than any of the other major players. The Knight Disc rifles have published loads for 150 gr loose 777 on the other end of the spectrum (which would equate to approximately 176.5 grains of pellets), but several publish 120 gr maximum loose powder loads as well.

If you were to take 100 gr VOLUME of loose 777 or Blackhorn 209, you would be shooting the equivalent to 115 gr VOLUME of Black Powder or Pyrodex. So that is another reason the rifle manufacturers err on the side of caution for loose powders.

Basically the industry standardized the pellets, but loose powder is all over the board.

NONE of the powder manufacturers recommend more than 2 pellets of any powder, it is the rifle manufactures that are recommending the 3 pellet loads. That is the part that makes no sense to me!

Thats making alot more sense and I appreciate you sharing that. This would explain why BH recomends no more than 120.

shoot 150gr loose powder in a 24-28" barrels. Theres a lot of waste. Thats one reason CVA maxs out at 100 grains.

Latest posts

Back