Powder and BP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Starting to realize that I should have changed to powder years ago. The ability to make small changes in charge size helps immensely. One question though, as of yet I haven't used powder in my 20 year old CVA Optima Pro magnum (he's at the smiths shop having a muzzle brake installed) but am I going to need to change breech plugs to be able to use powders?

Only if you use bh209 powder and even with that you can modify the plug you have to work.

You can get a savage 10 ml2 vent liner or even better a tungsten drill bushing and counter sink it into the nose of your breech plug so the primer flame channel is shorter. Or even a oring in the primer pocket does the trick most of the time. You need a 1mm thick by 4.5mm i.d. Oring.

Last edited:
I don't use bh209 (to rich for my blood) so let's hope this plug will be in working order for triple 7 . (Jack of all trades, yes, machinist, not)

I deleted the oring link because I took a screenshot of the wrong one and don’t want someone to order the wrong one.

Last edited:
Based on the age of the gun I think you'll have to find an after-market plug that is BH209 compatible IF you choose to shoot it, reliably. With T7 you do not have to do a thing, especially if you choose to shoot granular. T7 pellets might balk.

I don't use bh209 (to rich for my blood) so let's hope this plug will be in working order for triple 7 . (Jack of all trades, yes, machinist, not)
Unless the flash hole is worn out or the plug has rust or flame cutting issues it will be fine for t7 but the oring I posted will help keep your action clean and your primer water proof.

You’re right I took a screenshot of the wrong oring this is what I use. It is 4.5 mm id but doesn’t say it on the paper I got with it.

Attachments

• A75D0F00-3416-42EF-9A9E-8CF78846E7B5.jpeg
    A75D0F00-3416-42EF-9A9E-8CF78846E7B5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Based on the age of the gun I think you'll have to find an after-market plug that is BH209 compatible IF you choose to shoot it, reliably. With T7 you do not have to do a thing, especially if you choose to shoot granular. T7 pellets might balk.
I've been shooting T7 pellets for a couple of years now so thanx MrTom the granular should work fine.

Thanx y'all, I'm gonna keep the oring option in downloads in case, but for now I'll just go with what I got and see what I see. Maybe one day bh209 will come back to earth and I'll give it a try and a new plug.

Back