poor mans trigger job

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
Can i have your thoughts on a poor mans trigger job on a ruger single action. I have read some good/bad thoughts on this. I have already tried this on my ruger and it seems fine, and the trigger pull is alot lighter, i just dont want to mess it up in the long run. Thanks

Funman, I've got a name and phone number for a local gunsmith if you want to ask him any questions. PM me and I'll give you the info.

funman, i ran this idea by my gunsmith some time back on a ruger single six and he said don't do it. didn't really explain much, but he said "if they had meant for it to be that way, they would have made it that way." he did a trigger job on it for a reasonable price which resulted in a trigger pull that was much, much better than simply undoing one of those steps on the trigger return spring

btw, i assume you're talking about simply adjusting the trigger return spring (undoing one side of the spring) ... if its something else, disregard my post :D

n8dawg6 said:
funman, i ran this idea by my gunsmith some time back on a ruger single six and he said don't do it. didn't really explain much, but he said "if they had meant for it to be that way, they would have made it that way." he did a trigger job on it for a reasonable price which resulted in a trigger pull that was much, much better than simply undoing one of those steps on the trigger return spring

btw, i assume you're talking about simply adjusting the trigger return spring (undoing one side of the spring) ... if its something else, disregard my post :D
yes thats what i meant taking off one side of the trigger spring. i put mine back the way it was and will go to a gun smith thanks for the advice

You can buy a lighter trigger spring, and hammer spring (not too light though) and have a pistol smith tune the gun. I've got a Super Black Hawk Centennial Model, that was tuned by a excellent pistol smith. It is amazingly accurate. I can shoot to the same POI from 30yds. out to 100yds. with custom hand loads. I use 315gr. hard cast G/C lead bullets in it,and have shot hogs/deer with it. They drop right there at the shot! :D I should hunt with it more than I do,but I'm allways grabbing my ML for deer hunting. Ron
100_0079.jpg
310grLeeGCBullet2.jpg

Yup, change the springs and polish the internals (stay away from the sear).
I have been working on my own guns for years (safely) and my Super Blackhawk is running about a 1 1/2-2 lb trigger.

funman said:
Can i have your thoughts on a poor mans trigger job on a ruger single action. I have read some good/bad thoughts on this. I have already tried this on my ruger and it seems fine, and the trigger pull is alot lighter, i just dont want to mess it up in the long run. Thanks

I've have a bunch of Ruger Single Actions. First thing I do is take them completely apart, polish the moving parts with a Dremel and CRATEX and buffing wheels, and do a poor man's trigger job till the new Wolf trigger spring arrives. The Poor Man's Trigger Guard won't hurt the gun, but it doesn't work nearly as well as replacing the trigger return spring.

I never replace the hammer spring - lighter springs bring with them a risk of misfire.

This is my favorite .45 BlackHawk. I reamed the cylinder throats, polished the articulating works, changed the trigger spring, and replaced the grips with some cocobolo custom grips. Every time I pick it up it just "feels good".

NewGrips-2C-noserial.jpg

The gripp is larger than stock so it moves my knuckle out from behind the trigger guard like this:

Knuckleclearance-C.jpg

These guns are patterned after the SAA Colt .45 and were originally designed to be fired single handed. Be sure and grip the revolver so it is in a one handed shooting position aligned with the forearm, then adapt your support hand to it, and it will be considerably more plesant to shoot with 255g bullets in hunting loads.

Fitch

Fitch
That guns a real looker where did you get your grips and why do you ream the cylinder throats? Thanks for sharing

funman said:
Fitch
That guns a real looker where did you get your grips and why do you ream the cylinder throats? Thanks for sharing

I reamed the cylinder throats to .4525 because I shoot .452" 255g LSWC bullets in it. The original .451" throats were too small for the bullets and caused them to suffer gas leakage and lead the barrel. There is a reamer available from Brownells specifically for reaming these throats.

The revolver shot a lot better after reaming the throats.

I bought the grips from a guy that posted on a Ruger Forum. I'll see if I can find my correspondance with him to get you an e-mail address. It may take a while, it's on the HD of my old computer.

Fitch

Back