New Mexico Oryx

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
I just got back from New Mexico. My buddy and I hunted on the White Sands Missile Range. We both drew a Once In A Lifetime tag for Oryx. Also known as Gemsbok in the native land of Africa> What a FANTASTIC hunt. It took us 2 years to draw the tag but if your into a spot and stalk type of hunt I highly recommend it. Definitely NOT an easy critter to kill. I took mine on the second day of the 2 day hunt at a laser verified 398 yds. All I can say is the whole deal was a total pisser. Heres a couple of pics and if you need any further details please PM...
DSC04569.jpg

DSC04570.jpg

Congratulations on the Gemsbok!

What did you use to shoot him? 398 yards is a long shot. Obviously you did a great job shooting him.

Congrats, Jimmy!!!!

He looks like he is sleeping....

Beautiful animal...lifesize mount??? 8)

Congratulations on the Gemsbok! I tried some from a buddy a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the meat. Way to go.

big6x6 said:
Congrats Jimmy! That's one HELL of a trophy!

I wish I had the room for a life size mount. Shoulder mount will have to do. They truly are beautiful animals! KEEP applying and definiteky utilize an outfitteri f you draw.

DPH said:
Congratulations on the Gemsbok!

What did you use to shoot him?
quote]
My load was 85.5 gr of IMR 7828 and a Barnes 180 grain Tipped triple shock, i used a Rem 700 chambered in 300 Wby magnum, VERy tenacious animals!

great kill! I ALMOST shot one in TX one year. the outfitter we used there for several years had a large free ranging herd of them. they are magnificent animals to see!

Jimmy,
You could make a couple of custom ramrod's with those horns!!! Just some advice if you have no room to mount it. Congrats, very nice!!!!

Nice prairie pony. It looks like about a 32" bull. Where you on the Stallion Range hunt? Like hjbuys said, it's one of the best eating critters out there.

Why the "definiteky utilize an outfitteri f you draw" comment? This has to be one of the easiest DIY hunts on the planet. Finding them is fairly easy. Field judging them can take some practice but there are many pics on the internet to help learn. Color of the animal, shiny vs dull horns, physical size of the beast, the straight vs flared horns, all things to tell what you are looking at. Being able to tell a 34" from a 37" at 400 yards is definately tough, but taking a respectable example of the species on a DIY hunt is definately do-able.

They are super tough animals and shot placement is critical. I apply for the off range oryx myself. I will be using my muzzleloader on them, when DGF decided I am lucky enough to get a tag.

Latest posts

Back