Input needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETXOUTDOORS

Reaction score
All,

New to the Muzzle loading world.

It is currently muzzle loading season in Texas and I am going to be hunting for 3 days in a blind to hopefully fill my tag.

Can I keep a single charge in the gun from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.

Should I reload my charge every morning?

I will be in a blind the entire time and not stalking or hiking.

Details:

Rifle: Traditions 50 cal Hawkin Frontier
Powder: Pyrodex RS FFG equivalent
Bullet: Hornady 385gr Great Plains

I am confident in the rifle, but this will be my first extended hunt (multiple days).

Thank you for your input.

I've left my gun loaded for extended periods, a week or more.
As long as the weather is dry then there's no need to worry.
Just keep it the same temperature as your hunting conditions. Don't bring it in a warm house if it's cold outside.
You don't want condensation to build up in the barrel by going from warm to cold and back again.

All,

New to the Muzzle loading world.

It is currently muzzle loading season in Texas and I am going to be hunting for 3 days in a blind to hopefully fill my tag.

Can I keep a single charge in the gun from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.

Should I reload my charge every morning?

I will be in a blind the entire time and not stalking or hiking.

Details:

Rifle: Traditions 50 cal Hawkin Frontier
Powder: Pyrodex RS FFG equivalent
Bullet: Hornady 385gr Great Plains

I am confident in the rifle, but this will be my first extended hunt (multiple days).

Thank you for your input.
I could keep my 90 gr OE 3F load for 3 months , don;t know about longer as i never tried it but suspect you could say 3yrs/30 yrs no matter you could . It depends on the storage . I tape the muzzle with electrical tape and use a Mag Spark 209 adapter (closed system ) and leave it in a unheated garage /Ed

Decades ago when I used substitutes I always seemed to have a hang fire if I left a #11 capped side lock rifle loaded for days. It would range from just perceptible to quite noticeable.

The key is to make sure that no moisture gets to the powder in your rifle. The two possible routes for moisture are 1) Down the barrel and past the bullet; and 2) Through the nipple and down the fire channel. The following are suggestions for keeping the moisture out:

1) Traditions sells an accessory called "Muzzleloader Raingear." It consists of: a) Black rubbers (Yep - just like the ones that prevent pregnancy) which fit snugly around the muzzle of your rifle to keep out rain and snow, and the rifle can be shot without removing the rubber first; and 2) A piece of soft polymer tube which can be cut into pieces about 3/16" long. To seal the joint between cap and nipple, a short piece is slipped down over the cap and onto the nipple, leaving the top of the cap exposed so the hammer will hit it and fire the weapon with the short piece still in place. This is a great system to use while you're hunting - it will keep your powder completely dry even in Olympic Peninsula rain forest downpours. Also keeps snow out of your muzzle if you're hunting in snowy conditions.

2) When you're done hunting for the day, it's best to remove the cap from your rifle to prevent accidental discharge. One method of keepig moisture out of your fire channel is to hold a small piece of rubber sheet over your nipple (with the cap removed, of course!), and then lower the hammer onto the rubber. The pressure of the hammer on the rubber will seal the nipple. Where to get rubber sheet? A wide, thick rubber band works well. Another possibility is cutting a piece out of an old inner tube.

3) Another way to seal the nipple is to cut a small piece of closed-cell foam and stuff it into the nipple. Doesn't have to be tightly stuffed - just enough to seal up the hole - and make sure you leave enough sticking out so you can remove it with a tweezer!

Using the techniques above, I have kept a rifle loaded through three weeks of hunting with no problems.

Decades ago when I used substitutes I always seemed to have a hang fire if I left a #11 capped side lock rifle loaded for days. It would range from just perceptible to quite noticeable.
I always uncapped it and placed something over the nipple. Leather, thick layers of saran wrap or vinyl tape, etc. and slowly let the hammer down on it. I considered a capped nipple to be a loaded rifle and with kids around, I always took the cap off.

I always uncapped it and placed something over the nipple. Leather, thick layers of saran wrap or vinyl tape, etc. and slowly let the hammer down on it. I considered a capped nipple to be a loaded rifle and with kids around, I always took the cap off.
I never had to deal with kids or unauthorized personnel. The interesting thing is that when I switched to real black powder back in the late 90's I never had any form of hang fire when leaving the rifle loaded. It would go off a month and a half later like I just loaded 5 minutes ago.

Since you are new and using pyrodex, be sure to clean your gun ASAP after firing! Pyrodex is very corrosive and will start to eat metal as soon as it is fired.
You will be OK until then. Just a heads up!!
How well does stainless steel handle Pyrodex as far as corrosion goes? I have a TC Gray Hawk which is stainless and haven’t noticed any corrosion after using Pyrodex. I don’t swab after every shot and have not cleaned it until the end of my shooting session or hunting day. Then I flush it with window cleaner or windshield washer fluid as there’s a jug of it handy under the car hood.

The interesting thing is that when I switched to real black powder back in the late 90's I never had any form of hang fire when leaving the rifle loaded. It would go off a month and a half later like I just loaded 5 minutes ago.
I read, and I don't remember where, none of the powders are corrosive on their own. They must be fired and exposed to moisture. It's the water vapor which combines with sulfur to create sulfuric acid.

You would know better than I would if this is true. If it is, then letting an unfired load in the barrel should, theoretically, last forever.

The exception is Triple 7. It isn't corrosive, but it is extremely hygroscopic. It will soak up any moisture present, as well as or better than, a desiccant.

How well does stainless steel handle Pyrodex as far as corrosion goes? I have a TC Gray Hawk which is stainless and haven’t noticed any corrosion after using Pyrodex. I don’t swab after every shot and have not cleaned it until the end of my shooting session or hunting day. Then I flush it with window cleaner or windshield washer fluid as there’s a jug of it handy under the car hood.
You will get a little more time with stainless vs blued, but not much. Stainless will surely corrode especially with pyrodex!
Keep cleaning like you are then more thoroughly before storage.

The key is to make sure that no moisture gets to the powder in your rifle. The two possible routes for moisture are 1) Down the barrel and past the bullet; and 2) Through the nipple and down the fire channel. The following are suggestions for keeping the moisture out:

1) Traditions sells an accessory called "Muzzleloader Raingear." It consists of: a) Black rubbers (Yep - just like the ones that prevent pregnancy) which fit snugly around the muzzle of your rifle to keep out rain and snow, and the rifle can be shot without removing the rubber first; and 2) A piece of soft polymer tube which can be cut into pieces about 3/16" long. To seal the joint between cap and nipple, a short piece is slipped down over the cap and onto the nipple, leaving the top of the cap exposed so the hammer will hit it and fire the weapon with the short piece still in place. This is a great system to use while you're hunting - it will keep your powder completely dry even in Olympic Peninsula rain forest downpours. Also keeps snow out of your muzzle if you're hunting in snowy conditions.

2) When you're done hunting for the day, it's best to remove the cap from your rifle to prevent accidental discharge. One method of keepig moisture out of your fire channel is to hold a small piece of rubber sheet over your nipple (with the cap removed, of course!), and then lower the hammer onto the rubber. The pressure of the hammer on the rubber will seal the nipple. Where to get rubber sheet? A wide, thick rubber band works well. Another possibility is cutting a piece out of an old inner tube.

3) Another way to seal the nipple is to cut a small piece of closed-cell foam and stuff it into the nipple. Doesn't have to be tightly stuffed - just enough to seal up the hole - and make sure you leave enough sticking out so you can remove it with a tweezer!

Using the techniques above, I have kept a rifle loaded through three weeks of hunting with no problems.
Good info, yet personally I would suggest never stuffing anything into a nipple orifice, and all the moreso with Pyrodex, which is harder to ignite than black powder. Better, if using closed cell foam (assuming you know what that is) would be to put a a piece of it into the cup of the hammer, then let the hammer down on the nipple. You can then use a safety pin, tweezers or whatever to remove this piece from the hammer cup when applying a new cap.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

A few tips for your rifle and others:
To avoid hangfires in caplocks, flintlocks and even inlines with long breech plugs having a cup at the front, do this: pour in the powder, then hold the rifle upright with one hand while you soundly knock against the breech area with the heel of your palm three or four times. I was taught this by old-timers 65 years ago. This is all the more important with many of the mid-range and cheap caplock MLs of modern times, whose flash channel may be convoluted in form and perhaps narrow in one or more spots. You want some powder to get right to the bottom of your nipple. And this also means cleaning out that channel as best you can,using solvent and a fuzzy"pipe-cleaner", after removing the nipple -- when you are cleaning your rifle. It can also mean using the trick of turning your barrel upside down after you wire- brush it or clean mildly with a patch when there may be a good bit of crud in the barrel. Tap the inverted barrel end on a piece of wood, or anything else that can't ding or otherwise damage it. You'll be surprised what comes out!
If you don't do this, that loose crud will be part of what goes into your flash channel as you load, thus causing a misfire or hangfire.
Always wrap your nipple threads with a narrow piece of plumber's teflon tape, so it will come out whenever . Especially important with corrosive substitute powders like Pyrodex.
Keep a matching nipple wrench with you at all times, and a little powder, because sooner or later you are going to forget to load powder, or have a misfire that just won't fire with a new cap. Remove the nipple and work in a little powder to the flash channel, tapping on the area to settle it in AMAP as you add a bit more. Fire this off and a barrel with no powder in it will nonetheless have the ball or bullet moved forward a bit. Add some more powder, and seat the ball or bullet back down. Repeat, getting in a little more powder each time. Two or three tries with this trick to fully fire out the "dry ball" improper loading can save your hunt!
Next, your nipple and cap must be of compatible size. If too loose, it will fall off while hunting - likely before you come upon an easy shot at a deer ! -- so if cap is only a little loose pinch the base mildly with your fingernails -- so it goes clear down on the nipple, yet snugly. And if cap is too tight, it's either the wrong size or you have a slightly oversized nipple. That is the classic situation where you try to shoot and get a misfire, yet you cock the hammer and try again..... BOOM! The first drop of the hammer had to drive the nipple further down on the nipple, and the second drop then had enough energy to fire it off. Solution, if the cap goes on but not all the way down, is to use a fine diamond file to carefully reduce the diameter of your nipple slightly til a cap firmly pressed onto the nipple seats it clear down on the nipple top. A little measuring of the cap depth with caliper or whatever can help you determine where the seated cap needs to be on the nipple when fully seated. You need the end portion of a knife blade, etc, to remove a well fitted cap from a hunting nipple/cap setup, gently prying with muzzle in a safe direction. If it comes right off with your fingers it's too loose on the nipple, or not fully down in place on it.
And fix in your mind the wise words above in this thread: never hunt in a colder temp and then bring your rifle into cabin or tent, etc. Let it stay cool or cold, somewhere outside or in your vehicle, so it doesn't "sweat" on its metal inside.
Lastly, and just take my word on it from extensive testing with a T/C .54 Renegade using Pyrodex RS in a moist climate like Hawaii and firing immediately after loading... use a Spitfire nipple for consistent ignition. (It's likely the same with other substitutes, except Blackhorn 209, which isn't for your situation.). And the moreso if leaving your load in while hunting for days in any climate. Spitfires come in many sizes, including metric (yours is likely metric), and probably available from Treso, etc., not your local store. 1/4-28 is usual U.S. size for nipple threads, but most cheaper MLs from Spain or Italy will use metric size. Check with manufacturer by phone or online re size you need. Or somebody on this forum may know, or its in the Archives. Also, cheap calipers to measure your nipple diameter are at Harbor Freight or online, often $20 or less and useful for many years. Thread count requires a tool, but these are pretty available too -- U.S. or metric.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Last edited:
I know a couple guys that have left a charge in their muzzleloader all year and it went off without issue. They never said what that charge did to the breech area being in that long. But during our flintlock season in PA that runs a couple weeks, as long as I don't believe any moisture got to it (hunting in the snow or rain), I'll keep it loaded for at least 3-4 days. Never had a problem

A few tips for your rifle and others:
To avoid hangfires in caplocks, flintlocks and even inlines with long breech plugs having a cup at the front, do this: pour in the powder, then hold the rifle upright with one hand while you soundly knock against the breech area with the heel of your palm three or four times. I was taught this by old-timers 65 years ago. This is all the more important with many of the mid-range and cheap caplock MLs of modern times, whose flash channel may be convoluted in form and perhaps narrow in one or more spots. You want some powder to get right to the bottom of your nipple. And this also means cleaning out that channel as best you can,using solvent and a fuzzy"pipe-cleaner", after removing the nipple -- when you are cleaning your rifle. It can also mean using the trick of turning your barrel upside down after you wire- brush it or clean mildly with a patch when there may be a good bit of crud in the barrel. Tap the inverted barrel end on a piece of wood, or anything else that can't ding or otherwise damage it. You'll be surprised what comes out!
If you don't do this, that loose crud will be part of what goes into your flash channel as you load, thus causing a misfire or hangfire.
Always wrap your nipple threads with a narrow piece of plumber's teflon tape, so it will come out whenever . Especially important with corrosive substitute powders like Pyrodex.
Keep a matching nipple wrench with you at all times, and a little powder, because sooner or later you are going to forget to load powder, or have a misfire that just won't fire with a new cap. Remove the nipple and work in a little powder to the flash channel, tapping on the area to settle it in AMAP as you add a bit more. Fire this off and a barrel with no powder in it will nonetheless have the ball or bullet moved forward a bit. Add some more powder, and seat the ball or bullet back down. Repeat, getting in a little more powder each time. Two or three tries with this trick to fully fire out the "dry ball" improper loading can save your hunt!
Next, your nipple and cap must be of compatible size. If too loose, it will fall off while hunting - likely before you come upon an easy shot at a deer ! -- so if cap is only a little loose pinch the base mildly with your fingernails -- so it goes clear down on the nipple, yet snugly. And if cap is too tight, it's either the wrong size or you have a slightly oversized nipple. That is the classic situation where you try to shoot and get a misfire, yet you cock the hammer and try again..... BOOM! The first drop of the hammer had to drive the nipple further down on the nipple, and the second drop then had enough energy to fire it off. Solution, if the cap goes on but not all the way down, is to use a fine diamond file to carefully reduce the diameter of your nipple slightly til a cap firmly pressed onto the nipple seats it clear down on the nipple top. A little measuring of the cap depth with caliper or whatever can help you determine where the seated cap needs to be on the nipple when fully seated. You need the end portion of a knife blade, etc, to remove a well fitted cap from a hunting nipple/cap setup, gently prying with muzzle in a safe direction. If it comes right off with your fingers it's too loose on the nipple, or not fully down in place on it.
And fix in your mind the wise words above in this thread: never hunt in a colder temp and then bring your rifle into cabin or tent, etc. Let it stay cool or cold, somewhere outside or in your vehicle, so it doesn't "sweat" on its metal inside.
Lastly, and just take my word on it from extensive testing with a T/C .54 Renegade using Pyrodex RS in a moist climate like Hawaii and firing immediately after loading... use a Spitfire nipple for consistent ignition. (It's likely the same with other substitutes, except Blackhorn 209, which isn't for your situation.). And the moreso if leaving your load in while hunting for days in any climate. Spitfires come in many sizes, including metric (yours is likely metric), and probably available from Treso, etc., not your local store. 1/4-28 is usual U.S. size for nipple threads, but most cheaper MLs from Spain or Italy will use metric size. Check with manufacturer by phone or online re size you need. Or somebody on this forum may know, or its in the Archives. Also, cheap calipers to measure your nipple diameter are at Harbor Freight or online, often $20 or less and useful for many years. Thread count requires a tool, but these are pretty available too -- U.S. or metric.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa
Or use a Mag Spark (closed ignition NO gas cutting /erosion ) mine have stayed in the gun never removed and suffer not ,aside from being water proof if electrical tape covers the muzzle . And best of all nothing fails to ignite (even BH209) and any other sub you can find .I have lots of #11 caps but even more CCI 209 primers , it's nice to have backup primers in my case that's CCI #11 caps for back up !/Ed

Back