Pietta 1858 Brass/Buffalo .44 Revolver ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Colts and the .36 Navy is the most problematic. I don't have a Remington but have its big brother, a Ruger Old Army. That gun is tops.

I like them all , have a .44 &.36 Colt and a .44 Remington.
The Remington will be easier to load fast with a spare cylinder as it strips real easy.

So does the Colt when the wedge is fitted properly. It can be pushed in and out with just thumb pressure. Actually I find it easier than the Remington, because the pin in the Remington sticks with powder fouling.

Have not tried loading the Colt with a spare cylinder but will see if I can find one and try it.

In CAS I used a custom made cylinder loader. It was well made, and all aluminum. Very easy to pop out the cylinders, and load them on the loader. I could both guns in the time it takes to load just one cylinder in the gun. Maybe even faster than that. With the cylinder out it was also easy to run a patch down the bore., and run a pick through the nipples.

When trying to shoot as fast as possible in the event. Reliability was important. I tried to eliminate all the areas that might give me a slow, or misfire.

I'm busy making my own cylinder loader as they seem to be a bit pricey over here .

MLN1963, yeah I noticed those brass framed 1851 colt navy .44 were on sale for $150 at Cabelas. I looked at one a few days ago. They seemed nice and felt comfortable in the hand. Those steel Remingtons appeared a little more stout. Sounds like it is just a matter of preference. I'll be patient and eventually find the right one on sale, not in a hurry. Cabelas appears to have good deals on their BP revolvers pretty often.

Try to get a steel framed gun if you can. They hold up much better. There never was a brass framed .44 cal in the real Colts. The south made the guns from brass during the civil war, because they had a shortage of steel. Colt never made a brass framed gun. Even in .36 cal.

Thanks for the advice and info Muley. I didn't know that bit of history about the Colts.

Latest posts

Back