Pietta 1858 Brass/Buffalo .44 Revolver ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac10

Reaction score
Hey guys I was looking at possibly purchasing a brass frame  Pietta 1858 Buffalo .44 revolver, 12 inch barrel and wondered if any body who has owned one or shot one could give me insight on these guns, pros or cons. Cabelas has them on sale. I'm looking for something to plink with and possibly take a deer within close range, 35 yards or less. I realize I can not load them with as much powder as a steel frame, at least that's what I've heard. There is a guy from Africa, on youtube, that uses one for shooting some African game, impala, etc. Thanks for the help.
Chris

I have one with an 8" barrel and it is super accurate , so that 12" barrelled gun will be a blast as well !

Make sure it's legal in your state.

It doesn't meet the energy requirements in my state for big game.

In MO I think the law reads you can use a cap n ball revolver of .40 or above. I would have to double check before using though. Cabelas has them on sale at $199 right now. Not sure about getting one yet, it's tempting though,lol.

A 12" barrel can get awfully cumbersome on a single-action pistol. Something in a 6"-8" would be easier to carry in a holster and handle in the field.

You must really have a hard time with rifles.  :D 

In the civil war the north carried the 8" Colt 1860, and a rifle.

Yeah, 12 in. Barrel is Long. They've got adjustable rear sights on that one.

Yeah Pete I'm so short when I sling a rifle the butt drags in the sand  ;) 

What I meant was that when you carry that long handgun on your hip it gets in the way when you get in and out of a vehicle a lot, in a shoulder rig it carries a lot better though.

I carry mine a lot for protection against nasty's lurking in the long grass.

The two legged type?

A double barrel shotgun might be more effective.   :D

Yeah the two legged type usually gets motivated by the shotgun but the slithering types get .44 or .36 lead to weigh them down.

I didn't end-up getting the Buffalo revolver but was tempted to. I decided a 12 in. Barrel may be a little long, not real practical carrying in the woods.  Plus I figured I'll eventually get a steel frame one down the road. I've heard they hold up a little better.

Ditto , but I think with sensible loads the brass framed ones will last very long.

Thanks guys for your insight, appreciate it! I looked at a brass 1851 Pietta Colt Navy and steel 1858 Pietta Remington recently. I noticed the Colt felt a little better in the hand but the Remington has that top steel strap above the cylinder that makes it more solid it appears. The guy said the 1851 Colt Navy are tougher to take apart and load. Just curious, do you guys prefer shooting the Colt style or Remington?

Latest posts

Back