Perfect practice #4

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
The firing hand/trigger control How complicated can this be? Let's seperate the firing hand into 2 parts...the thumb/trigger finger and then the other 3 fingers. Your thumb shouldn't actually do anything other than gently lay on top of the pistol grip or along side of the pistol grip above your trigger finger. It should exert NO pressure as you grip the rifle. The other three fingers on the firing hand are the ones that you use to grasp the pistol grip to pull the rifle FIRMLY into the "pocket" of your shoulder. Anchor the rifle butt in the pocket in the same place, the same way, with the same firm rearward pressure every time. Think about it. If the rifle butt position varies slightly or the amount of rearward pull varies with each shot, do you think the rifle will recoil exactly the same way every time? How much downward pressure is your cheek weld putting on the comb of the rifle stock? Is your eye relief consistant? The non firing hand is used to support and guide the butt of the rifle into the pocket. Some people like to creep the non firing hand up under the forearm but you don't get the firm support of the buttstock this way. The middle of the end pad of the trigger finger should rest on the trigger. DO NOT have the trigger in the crease of the finger. The pad of your trigger finger is sensitive to touch and pressure and you will get to know the "feel" of your trigger and how much pressure it takes for it to break. Once your sight picture of the target is perfect, apply GRADUALLY INCREASING pressure to the trigger STRAIGHT BACK until it breaks. How many times have you heard that it should surprise you when the rifle goes off? It's true. The number one most common flaw in many shooters is grabbing the trigger when YOU want the rifle to go off. This invariably causes rifle movement. The trigger movement should be IMPERCEPTABLE with absolutely NO movement communicated to the rifle. Rather than having the trigger finger rebound quickly to the front, maintain rearward pressure for a second or so. It's part of good follow through. Remember, errors compound. It all matters. More coming. X

I was fortunate to get some training back at Boy Scouts.my scout leader was a scout sniper and he taught all of us at. Summer camp in nh was there one month shooting every day at 22 range.before I left I got my sharp shooter award .we all left with a strong foundation in the shooting sports.I took up reloading to have quality ammo to get tiny little groups. You offer great shooting advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back