Black Horn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTL

Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried the BH 209 in their TC Encore with the 26" barrel with the standard breechplug(not the speedbreech)?Rumors are that there are hangfires with flashholes under .027 of an inche.Thanks KTL.

BH 209

I'll be testing it this weekend if the weather cooperates,just looking for input.Starting with 250 grain Barnes spit-fire tmz and 120 grains by volume,figured I'd start with max load and work backwards if need be .KTL

I hear that we need to use a standard 209 primer not the ones made for blackpowder so I need to pick some up
I hear using the others can cause hang fires as they are not as hot

Thats what the info on the bottle says so you heard correctly.Have you shot your Ivestarms Hawkin lately?I've got one in .54 caliber but haven't shot it lately.That big buffalo bullet drops em ,but the trajectory lacks compared to the modern stuff.KTL

TC encore

My TC Encore loves the BH 209, 110 grains , short black harvester sabot and 250 SW. I use regular win 209 primers. Shoots moa @ 100 yds. No hang fires. Just clean the plug regular. You will love the BH 209. Don't bother to wipe between shots . It does not build up. You can expect 2 to 3 in groups at 200 yds. My gun is scoped with a burris 4.5 to 14 ballistic plex. Use an even consistant pressure to seat the bullet. [ I personally use a fairly high pressure to seat the bullet] Lots of guys are usein this recipe and getting great results. I got the recipe off of busta I think if I remember right.
Wayles

mine loves it. .762 groups (center to center) at 100. using 90 gr. bh and Barnes 300 gr mz expanders. trigger worked, after market hinge pin Ziess 3.5 x 10 scope. (standard breechplug) no misfires since using only 209 primers

I think some people have gotten the wrong idea it is just another powder it is harder to ignite so be careful about that, with the proper load work up the same as any other powder it is more consistent and will give better groups . I found out you don't wipe it does increase the group size on my guns. It is capable of halving the group size in a lot of guns I think mine shoots better than I can with the best loads. I tried the Short black sabot with the 250 SW as Grouse recommended and with 120 gr of BH at 2100 fps it shot a .210 group;I have not repeated that yet but have gotten a couple under .5 while trying. Lee

KTL said:
Has anyone out there tried the BH 209 in their TC Encore with the 26" barrel with the standard breechplug(not the speedbreech)?Rumors are that there are hangfires with flashholes under .027 of an inche.Thanks KTL.

I have been using BH 209 in my Encore and the only time i had a hang fire and that was when i was swabbing the barrel between shots with solvent and i had solvent coming out the flash hole in the breech plug . I have shot BH over 50 shots straight without cleaning the barrel or breech plug and had no problems . I do get a little carbon build up in the flash hole plug after the first couple shots , that's it . I have gone through a little over two tubs of black Horn 209 and had one hang fire .

encore1.jpg

!5 shot group

300XTP90grnBH209WIN003.jpg

20 shot group . the hole in the bulls eye was already there .

encore90grainsBh209Xtp300.jpg

UtahRob
Does BH209 shoot better for you than anything else ever did?
I believe that the capabilities of my set up are enormously improve by BH209 but I keep running into people that shoot a few shots and say it no better than777 or Pyrodex. Lee

I have not shot mine yet
Health not good and to damn hot.

My BH 209 came in open and most of it was missing so I contacted the company and they said to weigh it and let them know
My archery scale wont go up that high and I dont know where to go to have it weighed.

saxman1 said:
Mine is much less than half full and the seal is missing

Even though its a black powder substitute its sold by weight not volume. Remember the standard quote on packages:
"Packaged by weight, not volume: some settling may occur during shipping."

KTL said:

My regular Encore sure likes BH209 with no problems. I'm using 110 grains powder with .452/300 XTP/crushribs/ Winchester W209's, one hole groups at 50 and 100 yds. very easy to cleanup with hoppes#9 cept the breechplug needs more attention. I switched to tape on the threads to avoid the grease mess.

I had to drop the vertical scope adjustment down 4" from the T72Fg setting, so now I'm 2-3" high at 100 yds. I like this powder alot and won't be putting anymore T7 or pyrodex in my Encore. 8)

Lee 9 said:
UtahRob
Does BH209 shoot better for you than anything else ever did?
I believe that the capabilities of my set up are enormously improve by BH209 but I keep running into people that shoot a few shots and say it no better than777 or Pyrodex. Lee

I think it shoots the same as Pyrodex RS, but i don't have to swab the barrel between shots and its less corrosive and easier to clean up . I do get more carbon build up in the breech plug though on the primer side in the flash hole .

UtahRob

To be sure and say this right off the get go - I have only shot BH a limited amount. I shot it in each of my inlines in a test situation - trying to measure T7-2f vs BH. I have not shot it enough to be a consider any kind of "word" for it or against it. But, at this point the POI's have not changed any noticeable amounts, the velocities are slightly higher, and as Chuck pointed out the consistency of the velocities are greater with BH. I see a great difference in accuracy - but you must remember I am a hunter shooting a hunting rifle - NOT a competition target shooter. Also remember these are/were thrown & tapped volume charges of powder, from that my observation says that T7 does tap and settle - BH does not seem to respond to tapping it is a solid powder.

The easy of use of BH is certainly there and does beat T7 in that department, but for me ONLY the "ease" factor does not outweigh availability and the cost pershot factor.

Just some genral thoughts

Latest posts

Back