Patch issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong or I'm using the wrong kind of patches. Ever since I installed a brake on my CVA I haven't been able to spit patch between shots from muzzle to breech because the brake won't let me have my patch and jag back. I can run it down just fine but on the return the patch won't pull through the brake. I'm hoping it's the patches, but how can that be? And if it is what other kind of patches do I need. If it's inherent then from breech to muzzle it's gonna have to be.

Probably the change in ID from the rifle bore to brake that’s causing the trouble.
Didn't think of that. It's the same when I patch from breech to muzzle once I get to the brake you can't pull it back to the breech.

maybe the back of the patch flairs out just enough when pulling out that it's catching a hole/slot on the MB ?
i've found hemostats to be very useful for retrieving small items from small places and also holding small things that are too hot to hold with my fingers .

maybe the back of the patch flairs out just enough when pulling out that it's catching a hole/slot on the MB ?
i've found hemostats to be very useful for retrieving small items from small places and also holding small things that are too hot to hold with my fingers .
Ain't nothin' worse that burnt fingers!

Try a jag that has the hole in it for a shotgun I use a 12 gauge jag that holds the patch sideways in it ain't had a problem yet. You can turn it in the barrel so that way it don't get stuck on something lol

I must be doing something wrong or I'm using the wrong kind of patches. Ever since I installed a brake on my CVA I haven't been able to spit patch between shots from muzzle to breech because the brake won't let me have my patch and jag back. I can run it down just fine but on the return the patch won't pull through the brake. I'm hoping it's the patches, but how can that be? And if it is what other kind of patches do I need. If it's inherent then from breech to muzzle it's gonna have to be.
Your patch is catching on the edges of the holes or slots of your brake. Get some Harbor Freight digital calipers, or borrow one of those or else a micrometer, and use a patch jag that is about .010" (ten thousandths of an inch) smaller diameter than what you are using. You may have to vary that to a bit smaller, and/or try a different patch material on your jag, such as flannel. Of course, the more lubed it is with something, the more likely your patch will slip by your brake.

Aloha, Ka'imiloa

The Brake itself I have seen others struggle, well and have learned that the id changes slightly and causes all sorts of chaos cleaning patches and jags. need a thinner patch.

Or lose the brake , suck up some recoil and get over the pain or get a gun with more weight (OR) cut back on powder or projectile weight . I think that covers it/Ed
Have and pain is not the issue, you buyin' or givin' the next addition, have and found that the present load I'm currently using after burning up pounds of powder and lead is the best one for my rifle!

What I think is happening is when you're pulling the patch back out and you hit the interface of the bore/muzzle brake the patch folds over itself and binds up. I'm sure a bore mop would eliminate this problem but can get costly it you have to keep buying them. Of course you can always wash them out and reuse them.

What I think is happening is when you're pulling the patch back out and you hit the interface of the bore/muzzle brake the patch folds over itself and binds up. I'm sure a bore mop would eliminate this problem but can get costly it you have to keep buying them. Of course you can always wash them out and reuse them.
Your right, buying them could be pricey and washing them out would be a P.I.T.A. but unless I think of something else I might give it a go.

Your right, buying them could be pricey and washing them out would be a P.I.T.A. but unless I think of something else I might give it a go.
Actually if you're shooting black powder they should wash up nicely with just dish soap and water. Heck, I might just try that myself!!

i put my mops in an old sock with a healthy amount of laundry detergent and toss them into the washer.................... if my wife ain't looking.
if eagle eyes is around i clean them in a glass bowl with dish soap.

Back