Hog hunting bullets....again...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you have actually shot a hog/boar with a muzzleloader? What bullet did you use, what load/velocity did you use, and what was the outcome?

I've shot four.
2 with a 260gr Platinum Tip @ just over 1900fps. Both almost instantly incapacitated.
1 with a 240gr .429 Swift A-Frame @ 1700fps. Almost instant incapacitation.
1 with 460gr .451cal conical @ 1300fps. Ran about 30yds and finished up with a follow up.

My first Hog Hunt was at Loshboughs this past April. I fired my HB 10 ML-II one shot and killed a nice Russian Boar.

Bullet: 300 Grain MZ Barnes Expander
Load: 45 Grains AA 5744
Velocity: Ave 2,210 fps
Result: Hog tumbled and lunged a few feet and was dead before I reloaded. My first kill with the Barnes & I'm really impressed with whut it does both on both paper and game.

300grn XTP
1950fps
44grns of 5744
winchester Primer
MMP Short Sabot
Zeroed at 75yds.

The only Hog i ever shot was this year at Loshbaugh. I was so far away, it looked like zero steps to me. :wink: :p :lol:

Grouse:

Did you have to aim high to compensate for the scope height over the bore? :D

I killed a 200 pound Russian boar with the savage. The load was 42 grains VvN-110, 250 shockwave, CCI 209m primer, Hornady sabot. I ranged the shot at 117 yards. The pig was struck through the lungs and ran about 30 yards and dropped. The velocity of this load was 2305.

My first and only hog to date was a Loshbough, shot with a .504 Super91.

Bullet: Bob's 495gr NEW
Load: 75gr FFFG 777
Velocity: Around 1300 fps
Result: Lasered at 63 yds. Pig was dead where it stood.

I've killed two Russian Hogs todate.

1) Used a .451 475gr Whitworth Connical with 90gr of Pryodex P

2) Used a .451 460gr Connical made by Hunter280man and used 75gr of 777-3F.

Ed

300 grn. Barnes X .458 with 72 grn. of 2015 Out of my S.M.I. 2200fps The hog was broadside in and out both shoulders at 102 yards went strait down and hardly flinched.

Back in the 70s I had the opportunity to hunt with my uncle on one of the ranches he was managing on the big island of hawaii.

I killed two hogs at about 20 to 25 yards with an old italian 45 caliber rifle shooting 45 grains of fffg and a roundball( I didnt know anything about muzzleloaders at the time) the guy I bought it from just told me since it was a 45 caliber try 45 grains. Well I did and it shoot great. I killed probably 10 deer and them hogs with it as well as a bunch of groundhogs and squirells.

The hogs weighed between 100 to 125 and ran like I missed them when the gun went off but they didnt go far maybe 45 yards double lunged.

I would recommend a little more power than what I killed my first couple ogs with specially if they are older boars.

I shot 45 grains of powder out of that rifle until one cold morning in December I shot a spike buck in the head with it. It dropped at the shot but I went to turn it over to field dress it it got up and run off never to be seen again. I guess I just knocked him out with that light load. I increased my powder charges after that but the gun didnt shot as well with the heavier powder charges. I eventually sold that rifle and moved on to a 50 caliber renegade before turning to inlines when knight showed me the light.

I have killed a slew of hogs since them first two but most have been with dogs and knife or a bow. The hogs dont take to much killing if you get them where they are vulnerable.

iisabigone

iisabigone, what distance normally are those knife kills made from? :lol:

I had a friend that was pretty deadly up to 25 yds...on a target that is.

Loggy its pretty close in work and not for the squemish. One time I got squirted and my grandfather thought the hog got me! Those experiences brought out a lot of primal instincts in me. You got to be their to understand I guess.

Once the catch dogs get hold of them you can have your way with them but you got to be careful and quick or you may get cut or bit. When the pig gets wore down and the catch dogs get hold and its in good position you just work your way in and stab and cut the jugular.

We used to catch smaller hogs live too(if they werent to big and bad) and take them back to the coral and keep them in a pen and fatten them up before a lua. Even a 50 lb boar is a tough little dude and can hurt you if your not careful.

I wouldnt recommend this hunting technique unless your accompanied by very experienced hog catchers. My family has been working the ranches and hunting hogs for decades.

Thanks for sharin your experience there iisabigone! Sounds exciting for sure. I think i'll stick to one of my 50 Calibers for now. :lol:

Wow, never thought about that Ed. Gee, if had a choice between only 2 Hog Weapons a .451 or a knife...Man, thats a tough one! :lol:

Hey Ed, what Hog bullet is "in-line" for your upcoming Hog Hunt anyway??

Loggy, while I had excellent results in Tenn. with Hunter280Man's 460gr connicals, I think this time I'm either going to use the 460gr NEW bullets that I cast, or I may try White's 460gr PowerPunch. However I will order them unsized and unlubed. This way I can lube and size them myself so they fit better.

Ed

I never got into casting but sounds like alot of fun. Closest I got was casting sinkers and lures for fishin a few years ago.

I havent made my mind up yet what gun I will use on those Hogs yet in 2006. Got a few PA Deer hopefully to deal with before I get serious at the drawing board. :lol:

Loggy said:
IGot a few PA Deer hopefully to deal with before I get serious at the drawing board. :lol:

Yep, our early ML season will be here before you know it. Can't wait!!

I hope to try a Hunter280Man's 460gr HP out on a nice fat doe during our early ML season.

Ed

Back