Old CVA Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I have an old CVA Optima pro in .45 cal . It will shoot very well with the PR bullet 200 and 80 gr of 209. Two questions first can anybody explain to me the purpose of the hole in the rear of the breech plug ? Secondly, does anyone in the group see an issue with the above load ? I am thinking of going sabotless with it if I remember it shoot PR bullet coni also quiet well.

my 2003 optima has that . i THINK ..... it's for primer blowback ??? it exhaust out the front of the hook/pivot thingy that the barrel moves on . i could definitely be wrong though ! when i had it in a pot of hot soapy water cleaning without the breech plug in it i noticed water shooting back up at me and found out that was the source .

Thats what I was kinda thinking almost like a safety valve . If you don’t mind me asking is yours a 45 or 50 and your load I’ve always stayed conservative

it's a .50 , it was given/loaned to me indefinitely a few months . i've shot 250 grain TC , XTP , TEZ and Monoflex and it seems to like 80-90 grains of 777 fffg . i didn't try more powder than that .

Back