NitroFire Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for Bullet info for the Traditions Nitro Fire.Specifically the Federal Premium 270gr BorLock bullets. Can't find anywhere.All seems out of stock. Has the production been Discontinued?? Any info appreciated.Also,what are you NitroFire shooters using in your ML.?? I contacted Traditions about using Thor non-sabots and was told to stay clear of them.But I've read in places other types of bullets are being fired other than their suggested loads in manual and websight. Anyinfo sure would be appreciated.My wife bought this for me 2 years ago.I have several ML's so I still have not fired this ML yet.Looking for help and info on this so I can start shooting it.I've found plenty of Firesticks, but no BorLocks other than 3 Packs.HELP

BOR Locks (the coppers anyway) haven’t been discontinued. They have been hard to find though off and on for some time. I spoke to Federal in August to confirm they are still being produced. I’m sure there will be more available before next season.

Can’t help you on loads for a Nitrofire. Although I don’t see what you couldn’t shoot Thors.

If a manufacturer's suggestion is to steer clear of a particular bullet, I guess I'd honor that. Yes, people will venture into areas outside of a manufacturer's recommendations but the do so at their own risk. The Nitrofire hasn't been around long and not a whole lot of tricks have been tried [or at least not admitted to] yet. Personally, I like having more control over what I shoot so I have no interest in the Nitrofire stuff.

Muzzleloader bullets are like fishing tackle. What's hot this year may not exist next year.

how many borelocks you need. I was at a garage sale and the lady had on a box box of bullets $5.00. I opened and inside loose were about 200-250 loose copper bore locks. I would part with some if you needed them for hunting. They shoot well in my optima like the 150 grns. I will never shoot them all. Let me know I maybe able to hook you up with some

I know that this is an older post but check your local Walmart if you need some stuff. I saw some 270grn bore locs at my local Walmart in S.Ohio this morning for $23 I believe. They have some 209 muzzleloading caps also. Pyrodex Rs is in stock with some pellets and the star pellets too. Blackhorn powder was out of stock and going for $83!

Yes , I got these Federal B.O.R. LOCKs for a Friend at Walmart this morning for $22.34.
The Federal 209MZ Primers have gone up to $9.93 😬
I didn't pay attention to the price of the caps but I was kinda of surprised that they have some! They had plenty of powerbelts and a few other bullets. Prices on everything have gone through the roof since covid! 🤬

Those Federal primers are $19.96 at the LGS, Green Top just outaide Richmond, VA. I got mine at Walmart for $10 less here in Fredericksburg.

Yes , I got these Federal B.O.R. LOCKs for a Friend at Walmart this morning for $22.34.
The Federal 209MZ Primers have gone up to $9.93 😬
Those are the same prices at my local WM. The muzzleloader rifle prices also went up at WM. The Vortek Strikerfire is now $414 vs $379 last year.

Federal Firesticks. Federal MZ Primers. Stating to sound like a CVA fantasy. Again. Has anyone here tried these things?

I'm new here! Recently I bought a Traditions Nitrofire and have been test firing it for accuracy. At first this gun's accuracy was not that good at 6" circle @ 100 yds. After researching a video from Duelist Den on bore polishing and another video for improving accuracy by polishing. I decided to give it a try. Purchased 3M 7447 Scotch brite metal polishing pads, I cut them into strips and squares. I swabbed the bore up to 10 full strokes then put a new pad on and repeated the 10 more strokes. I did a total of 60-70 strokes to polish out any microfibers. After polishing the bore, my groups went from a 6" circle down to a 2" or 1.5" circle and the polishing made the bore much easier to clean. It was truly amazing to watch this play out. So far the most accurate load combination is the orange 100 grain firestick loads with BPI Aerolite 250 grain bullets and Winchester 209 primers. I can put 5 shots in a 1.5-2" group at 100yards and can ring A5 Steel 4" circle plates at 100 yds shot after shot. After testing the same bullets and primers with the 120 grain firestick loads, I found there was no difference in the point of impact between the 120 and 100 grain firestick loads. No reason to spend the extra money on the 120's.

Nest tests coming up:
Powerbelt aerotip 245 grain copper
Thor Lightning 250 grain. copper. My bore test was .502 when I reorder from Thor.
Federal BOR lock 270 grain copper

I'm new here! Recently I bought a Traditions Nitrofire and have been test firing it for accuracy. At first this gun's accuracy was not that good at 6" circle @ 100 yds. After researching a video from Duelist Den on bore polishing and another video for improving accuracy by polishing. I decided to give it a try. Purchased 3M 7447 Scotch brite metal polishing pads, I cut them into strips and squares. I swabbed the bore up to 10 full strokes then put a new pad on and repeated the 10 more strokes. I did a total of 60-70 strokes to polish out any microfibers. After polishing the bore, my groups went from a 6" circle down to a 2" or 1.5" circle and the polishing made the bore much easier to clean. It was truly amazing to watch this play out. So far the most accurate load combination is the orange 100 grain firestick loads with BPI Aerolite 250 grain bullets and Winchester 209 primers. I can put 5 shots in a 1.5-2" group at 100yards and can ring A5 Steel 4" circle plates at 100 yds shot after shot. After testing the same bullets and primers with the 120 grain firestick loads, I found there was no difference in the point of impact between the 120 and 100 grain firestick loads. No reason to spend the extra money on the 120's.

Nest tests coming up:
Powerbelt aerotip 245 grain copper
Thor Lightning 250 grain. copper. My bore test was .502 when I reorder from Thor.
Federal BOR lock 270 grain copper
I have a Nitrofire with the 1:24 twist rate. I have shot about a dozen or so bullets ranging from 200 gram up to 340 grams. I have shot exclusively the 100 g firesticks. Bullets tested include Traditions Smackdown (250g, 275 g and 305g), Hornady SST (250 g and 300g), Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X (340 g), Hornady Bore Driver FTX (290 g) and PowerBelt ELR (275 g). I have not shot the Federal BOR Locks as I have not been able to find any.

In general, I found the Nitrofire to shoot heavier bullets more accurate than lighter bullets and non-saboted bullets better than saboted bullets. I like accuracy and repeatability and found the Hornady SST (300 g), Hornady Bore Driver FTX and Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X to be the most accurate (best group). The Hornady Bore Driver FTX gave me a 1.5" group at 100 yds and the others just under 2" @ 100 yds. I am a whitetail deer hunter and if shots are 125 yds or less, my choice would be the Bore Driver FTX. For shots > 125 yds, I would lean toward the ELD-X. The ELD-X is a heavier and slower bullet, but the high bullet coefficient allows it to shoot flatter with more knockdown energy (recoil is heavier as well).

The Hornady SST (300g) also shot well, but I had 200 ft/sec drop in velocity after the 3rd shot. I do not know if this is due to the Nitrofire barrel or what, but I found pastic fouling of the rifling. A hard bore clean restored the velocity.

I have a Nitrofire with the 1:24 twist rate. I have shot about a dozen or so bullets ranging from 200 gram up to 340 grams. I have shot exclusively the 100 g firesticks. Bullets tested include Traditions Smackdown (250g, 275 g and 305g), Hornady SST (250 g and 300g), Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X (340 g), Hornady Bore Driver FTX (290 g) and PowerBelt ELR (275 g). I have not shot the Federal BOR Locks as I have not been able to find any.

In general, I found the Nitrofire to shoot heavier bullets more accurate than lighter bullets and non-saboted bullets better than saboted bullets. I like accuracy and repeatability and found the Hornady SST (300 g), Hornady Bore Driver FTX and Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X to be the most accurate (best group). The Hornady Bore Driver FTX gave me a 1.5" group at 100 yds and the others just under 2" @ 100 yds. I am a whitetail deer hunter and if shots are 125 yds or less, my choice would be the Bore Driver FTX. For shots > 125 yds, I would lean toward the ELD-X. The ELD-X is a heavier and slower bullet, but the high bullet coefficient allows it to shoot flatter with more knockdown energy (recoil is heavier as well).

The Hornady SST (300g) also shot well, but I had 200 ft/sec drop in velocity after the 3rd shot. I do not know if this is due to the Nitrofire barrel or what, but I found pastic fouling of the rifling. A hard bore clean restored the velocity.
You've done some extensive testing! Nice work. I've not tested the FTX Boredriver but your results makes me want to give them a try. Whitetail and Bear are what I like to hunt most with my Nitrofire. People that haven't shot one at the range can't appreciate how much fun they are to shoot. My sons and I were shooting hanginging steel 4" round AR500 targets @ 100 yds. Great practice for hunting season too! My sons aren't ML shooters but they all had a blast sending the 50 cals downrange at the orange swinging targets. I'll post my results afterward. Mine loves the THOR 247 gr copper HP bullets in .502 size. It's nice not having to deal with the melted plastic bore stripes. Great stuff !!

Latest posts

Back