To weight or not to weight?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSPguy

Reaction score
Is their an advantage to weighting powder charges over just measuring?

Thanks GSPguy

Being consistent with everything will improve your accuracy. Weighing out charges does increase consistency. But I have found that it depends on the powders. I did weigh out BlackHorn 209 but otherwise for the kind of shooting I do, I just use a volume measure of the loose powder.

It is fun to see just what you can make a rifle do, so it is more of a personal decision I guess. In theory it should make you more accurate.

If I am at the range testing loads, I will weigh for maximum accuracy. Once I have settled on a load, I will weigh out the loads that go in the woods with me. I do set my powder measure and practice with it so that I can throw that particular load consistently.

I had read somewhere that it was not as accurate to weigh charges, but with the responses here, it looks like weighing would be the way to go if time is not an issue.

Thanks GSPguy

It is simple enough to check. Just fire 3 or 4 groups with measured charges and the same with weighed charges. The result will give you your answer. I have done this with my TC Scout, Lyman Great Plains and TC Omega. I no longer weigh my charges.

Experimented with weighed charges for about two years. Kept track of my groups and compared them with measured charges. Came to the conclusion that it was a waste of time.

My powder measures are the adjustable brass ones. i pour them a little over full and strike the powder off level. Works for me.

Back