Newby looking for loads for CVA Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the V2 LR .45. It gives me 75 fps greater velocity than my 24" Encore barrel.

What makes even more of a difference is the handier 24" barrel and the 1-22 twist in the LR. I can change sabots and gain 40fps. Ive done it with my NULA. Both loads shoot plenty good enough for hunting. All other components being identical. You gained just a little over 12fps per inch. Like i said, going from a 27" to a 30" the fps gain is laughable at best. A lighter rifle with a 28" such as the Plains Rifle offers more as far as a hunting rifle goes. Sorry but 8.1lbs vs 6.9lbs just aint worth 25fps no matter how i slice it.

Last edited:
Say what you want about shorter barrels. Will they still work? Absolutely they still work. They can still get the job done. However... Accuracy is more in the shooter, than the gun itself. If you know what your gun can do at different distances, you can make adjustments for better accuracy. And I can guarantee you that if you take the same charge, same grain bullet and same 209 primer... Put all of it in the Accura V2 and the Accura V2 Long Range. At 300 yards, I'd put money on it, that the Accura V2 Long Range will have a higher speed at 300 yards. Which will transfer to higher hitting power and less drop. I use my gun for hunting. Not for competition. I'm looking for stopping power at longer distances. Which you lose on shorter barrels. I want a humane kill. Without having to track my game for miles, because the gun didn't have the stopping power at longer distances.

The speed difference is laughable but if 60fps (at most) makes you feel better.....Im glad you are happy. I get right around 2100fps from my 27" shooting a 300gr bullet and im certain mine have a higher BC than a PowerBelt AeroLite. So at 300 yards which do you think will have more energy left?

Measured up 9 powder charges ,( all the tubes I had ) 80 grains by weight to start , got the gun today , cleaned all the factory grease off , put the 209 breech in , scope mounted but have to bore sight it yet , so some time tomoro will run those 9 first rounds thru it , get a feel for the gun , then start experimenting with load once I get the scope in the ball park

Those TMZ sabots might be REALLY tight in that bore. Harvester boatail sabots should load much easier but they are kinda expensive. The Barnes TEZ will load quite a bit easier and should be about the right fit in a CVA.

Outside of a couple exceptions i get better accuracy from Barnes when they are on the tighter side.

Yup, I average 2034 fps shooting 77 weighed gr of BH. I haven't chronyed th 84 gr load yet.

Hi guys , forgive me if I have less than intelligent questions , my Accura V2 will be here Tuesday , just looking to see what some of you are using for loads that shoot this rifle , I am going to use Blackhorn 209 , CCI mag 209 primers , to start bought 1 pack of 15 Barnes 290 TMZ just to get my feet wet , would welcome any and all thoughts as to stuff to try , I know I will need to finetune loads to this gun , just looking for a good starting place , Thanks in advance for anything you are willing to share , Dan

Guess I shouldve said this will be a whitetail gun
A 325gr Power Belt ELR over 90grV BH 209 shoots 3/4" groups @ 100 yards out of my Plains Rifle. I hope this helps.

Those TMZ sabots might be REALLY tight in that bore. Harvester boatail sabots should load much easier but they are kinda expensive. The Barnes TEZ will load quite a bit easier and should be about the right fit in a CVA.

Outside of a couple exceptions i get better accuracy from Barnes when they are on the tighter side.

You are 100% correct , they were very snug , only got 3 shots in before other things made me quit , and only 50 yards for initial set up and getting it on paper , but @ 50 , nice 3 shot group , cloverleaf type all touching , really like how the gun handled and shot , finish dialing it soon , then really wanting to give it a go late Muzzle loader season here in Iowa

GMS54-120, Let me start by saying I wish I'd taken your advice and purchased an MGM barrel for my Encore instead of the Accura .45. You were right about the weight as well. I pay attention to your posts, even if I don't always follow your advice. I got entraced with the pretty camo and ambidextrous thumbhole stock. I ran the numbers for my load (using estimated BC) and it shows that that 75 fps difference between the 24" Encore barrel and the 30" CVA gives about 8.7% more energy @ 2225 yds. The difference between a .308 and .30-06 with a 150 gr. bullet is about 3.2%. If we assume 12 fps/inch of barrel length, a 27" barrel should be 36 fps slower. Running those numbers through shooterscalculator.com gives an engery difference of 4% @ (225 yds). The elk might not notice the difference. Merry Christmas to all of you, and thanks for all of the information I've gleaned from this site.

First off i applaud CVA for offering a fast twist 45. For me its just a little off the mark. It is however fine for some people.

A 1-20 though is better is every way ive seen and experienced unless you are sticking just to sabots. My 1-22 shoots sabots great and it will handle most bullets in sabots fine.

When CVA offers a 45 based on the Accura MR or PR platform they will have something you can only get in a custom like the Patriot rifle. I would even love to see it in the Optima V2. Now that would be a cool little rifle that dont cost much.

A BP guru at Ed's Gun Shop, Carlos, before he retired suggested Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets for the Accura V2 & MR. That is the bullet that I have been shooting for 8+ years with excellent results using 2 pellets of T7. My son shoots the same bullet in his MR using BH209. I like to show this picture of a fired T-EZ bullet that took a nice buck as it seems to irritate some viewers on this board. Good luck with your new V2 as I have really enjoyed hunting with mine. Let us know if you need any input on "blowback".

FWIW, My Accura V2 barrel is 26 5/8" from muzzle to where the BP screws into the breech.

1BLNaach.jpg

Last edited:
I will echo what has already been stated with regard to the 250 Barnes TEZ. I have both the CVA Accura V2 and the Mountan Rifle. I currently use that bullet in both rifles. The Accura gets 100GR volume of BH209 and the MR gets 90GR by volume. I'm using Win 209 blue box primers in both. Both are certainly less then 2 inch accuracy at 100 yards. My daughter uses the MR since it just handles better in my option. Below pic is two deer we took a few years ago on the day after Christmas. It was a very memorable hunt for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 23
I've been using the Barnes Bullets since first seeing an ad for them in the early 1990's I believe. At the time I was very new to the Muzzle Loader and was shooting my first Muzzy, a Knight Wolverine. I quietly switched to the Barnes bullet just before the season opened without telling any of my buds. On opening morning I got a decent 8 pointer with a neck shot. My cousin and I were hunting together. When we dressed the deer after the morning hunt we recovered the bullet and it was exactly like the picture in the ads. A perfect mushroom. The "pedal of death". My cousin switched to Barnes the next day and re-zeroed his rifle. Now we only use Barnes in both 20 and 12 gauge slugs as well as the ML. The pic below is one of the bullets I've recovered from deer. These are Muzzy bullets as well as 12 and 20 ga slugs. One bullet is a Thor conical (bottom row right) which is made by Barnes and is a great bullet as well. The one really deformed bullet (top right) was dug from a tree after exiting the double lung shot deer. Very few Barnes bullets will be recovered.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 14
Carlos recommended that Barnes TEZ or the Hornady Monoflex. I went with the monoflex and 90gr of BH-209. A real crusher on deer. Sure do miss that guy as he was always spot on with his advise. Go to Ed`s website now and I do not see anything as far as muzzleloading goes.

In regards to the Barnes TEZ, are you guys using the blue sabot? I'm new to the mz world myself and have been do my studies. Seems like the sabit is sometimes the crucial part of accuracy and fit.

I've got some crush rib and short black sabots coming from Harvester , so like you Mac , new to this and going to be trying multiple loads , see which one my Accura likes best

Back