Newby looking for loads for CVA Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sighted my Accura Lr in and the bullets I used came with harvester crush rib sabots (black) and to me it seemed like they went down the barrel very easily, possibly too easy. I did have to push harder to actually seat the bullet tho.

Carlos recommended that Barnes TEZ or the Hornady Monoflex. I went with the monoflex and 90gr of BH-209. A real crusher on deer. Sure do miss that guy as he was always spot on with his advise. Go to Ed`s website now and I do not see anything as far as muzzleloading goes.

In my two CVAs, the Hornady Monoflex pretty much shot to the same zero as the Barnes TEZ in the as provided blue Sabot. I've gathered up some of the Havester Sabots but have yet to try them in place of the Blue sabot to see if that improves the accuracy. I'm truly amazed at the results some here get by just using a different sabot. I do know for a fact I get better accuracy with the Winchester primer then the CCI magnum primers. Not sure why but it is true and I learned that from this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site.

Thanks to all. You know who you are!!

Carlos recommended that Barnes TEZ or the Hornady Monoflex. I went with the monoflex and 90gr of BH-209. A real crusher on deer. Sure do miss that guy as he was always spot on with his advise. Go to Ed`s website now and I do not see anything as far as muzzleloading goes.

Unfortunately there’s no way that Ed’s could ever be the same after Carlos retired. Thru all of the testing that we did I developed a great relationship with him. I still talk to him at least every other day. I will let him know that he is missed.

Carlos did more for this sport individually than anyone I’ve ever known.

We put those Barnes thru everything you can think of with no failures. When the Monoflex came out I found a box for less than the Barnes & began testing. I experienced the same performance &’flower of death results as I did with the Barnes. I immediately contacted Carlos & Dave & we went to work with the same results every time. The nice part was you could get a 452 or a 458 in 250 grains. My Apex liked the 458 better than the 452. Either way you’re talking great bullets. Over the years however I have started using & become a huge fan of Fury Bullets.

Greg

The boy, and i each killed our deer this year with 95g Blackhorn; 275g Fury 50 caliber bullet. No question the bullet works good on deer. The Fury bullets are bonded, and are easy to size; stay sized; easily obturate, and shoot good without sabot,

I have one of the Optima V2 LR rifles. I use the same load in it, that I use in my Accura. And, it shoots almost as good. 100 gr BH 209, CCI 209M, MMP HPH 24 sabot, 250 Gr Hornady SST. When I first started shooting this rifle, I used the MMP 3PEZ sabots that come with the Hornady bullets. But, after finding the MMP HPH 24 worked better in my Accura, I tried it in my Optima, and found it works better in it, as well. Sub 1" groups. And no cleaning beteween shots, and no crud ring like the 777 gives you.

110 grains Vol. BH209, 250 grain Barnes TEZ in a Harvester smooth black sabot, Winchester 209 primer. This load combo shot very well out of my Son's Accura. Looking forward to some range reports when you get a chance.
What size group , center to center, did you get with that combo?

What size group , center to center, did you get with that combo?
At 100 yards, it was no bigger than an inch and most likely less . I looked for a picture of the targets but it was before I started taking pics of my range targets. I told my Son that I would buy the Accura back from him if he ever decided to sell it because it shot so well.

The Accura V2 BTW is a 27", not a 28". The Plains Rifle is a 28"

I don't have an Accura V2, but I have an Optima V2 and an Accura PR. The barrels on both of them are exactly the same. 27 1/2 plus a 1/2" for the BP, to make a total of 28"

Latest posts

Back