Newbie Deer Load ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich M

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about as green as you can find...looking for a place to start from.

Back when I was a teen ager, I had a .58 cal H&R and used to shoot round balls with 60-90 gr of black powder or Pyrodex. That was over 20 years ago! (still have it)

I just ordered a CVA Wolf (.50 cal) - have a Luepold 4x scope for her. Figure it will be a 0-150 yard gun in the areas I hunt.

My question is about loads and bullets/sabots. COMPLETE PASS-THRUs are a must - I'm hunting in extremely thick vegetation areas.

So, does anyone have an opinion on a penetrating bullet? Do I need to go heavier? Use solid copper bullets? ...

Many thanks!

if complete pass through is what you what then you can't go wrong with any of the barnes bullets.

Wolf

85 grains loose T7, 250 grain shockwave ultra glide sabot. I have a wolf and I would never push that gun beyond a 100 yard shot. But that is just my thoughts on the matter. Hunt Safe

For full penetration I would look at a Barnes, Nosler Partitian, Shockwave bonded, or a large conical bullet. Good luck with the Wolf. I have heard they are a good shooting little rifle.

A couple years back I helped a young man learn to shoot his Beartooth Magnum which is a wolf. We discovered 85 grains of T-7 2f and a 240 grain XTP and a 245 grain powerbelt were good shooting bullets. He dropped a nice doe at under 40 yards his first year with it. I never had a chance to talk to him after that but it must be working for him as he is still hunting with it.

When I first started with an inline I shot a Traditions with 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets(equivalent to about 80 grains loose) and the 300 grain XTP. Every deer I shot was a complete pass through. This might be a good starting place for you and the XTP can be bought in bulk and price is reasonable. MMP short black sabots should do the trick.

Don't forget about the Speer Gold Dots 250gr & 300gr with 100gr powderor OR The hornady XTP MAG 240gr & 300gr

Many Thanks, gentlemen.

80 grains seems like the place to start.

777 seems to be a favorite powder on here. Anyone care to elaborate why?

I'm still very lost with respect to the bullets - no two guys seems to like the same thing! ...going to have to buy a couple different kinds and see what the gun likes the best.

Now, I just have to wait for the gun to arrive so I can start to play.

People like Triple Se7en because of the power and the way it cleans up. The one draw back of Triple Se7en is in some rifles, shooting it produces a hard crud ring that can make loading difficult to do. All you have to do of course is swab the barrel. That will remove the crud ring and then the rifle will load as normal.

wolf

Try wally world bullets until you are famliar w/ the gun., weights and charges it wants to shoot well with and inexpensively. Then go to a more expensive bullet. I always used a spit patch both sides, them dry [patch both sides after EVERY shot. You cannot wait and clean this gun after shooting or hunting, it will rust. I used a 209 primer and had to pick the breech plug every 10 shots or so and always bught a new Breech plug every year. I have not shot it w/ the nre T& primers. This gun will rust the first time you neglect, but you will have fun shooting it.

Back