New Thompson center impact range results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5348

Reaction score
I been playing with the new impact I pick up 3 weeks ago. Bore is super tight
I tried a few different bullets
Shockwave 250 gr. Yellow and blue tip
Hornady xtp mag 240 gr.
Powder 209 80 gr to 90 grains.
I will say the best group came from t/c cheap shots.
100 yard bench
80 gr.BH209
First shot outside bull
Second shot a little higher.
Did a few click on the scope next 2 rounds same hole.
I did Mark bullet holes.
The next 2 rounds same hole group

https://ibb.co/sRsqgW1

The Impact is a nice little gun. And they just plain shoot. I have one left out of three I've owned and it goes to the range often. The only complaint I have is cocking the gun if I have a glove on....the gun is scoped. Easy shooting, easy to maintain. Relatively inexpensive. Just a simple little gun that performs.

The TC’s do have a really tight bore. I personally like the Hornady SST’s and Monflexs with the red sabots out of my Prohunter.

With the .452 cal bullets the MMP 3 pedal ez sabot (Hornady red sabot) seems to be the best out of my gun. I shoot 777 and usually run 1 cleaning patch and 1 dry patch between every shot. But in the woods I can get 3 shots down the barrel dirty if I have too.

Nice shooting:lewis: Does your rifle have the new easy remove speed breech plug? If yes, does the powder end still have the deep concave recess?
No I purchased the gun about 2 weeks before the new style plug was out.
I did get a deal on the older style 200.00

Nice shooting:lewis: Does your rifle have the new easy remove speed breech plug? If yes, does the powder end still have the deep concave recess?

The new ones are 209 ready. A friend bought one not long ago with the quick out plug and he's shot 209 already.

I had no problems with the older style breech plug.
I have gotten up to 12 shots the plug works fine.
I did notice the CCIM 209 primers may just be a hair longer then federal 209.
I have run into some that won't remove from the plug with some help from a small pair of needlenose plyiers.
I had to change out the scope to a longer eye relief
I went with a Bushnell 3x9x40.
This scope has a 6" eye relief but I would say more like 4 1/2 to 5 power.
So far no complaints here.
Not bad to clean
The trigger breaks clean no take up
I measured it at almost 4 lbs or a tad under

Back