new savage pacnor owner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwtflogan6

Reaction score
gm i believe was talking about my new baby when he said it was a tad haeavy for his style of hunting,but im a heavier gun guy and at 12lbs the way it sits it shoulders perfect for me!!!! know some of you guys from dougs but figured id post it here as well, love both the sites!!!

savage ml, pacnor .45 26" dd spec. 1-22 ss barrel, third action screw, .240 sss recoil lug, john okubo custom laminate stock finished in ppg clear! , devcon steel bedding, and barrel floated, farrel mount(bedded), burris xtr rings (lapped) timney trigger, bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10x40 scope!!!!
2nd_gun_pics_015.jpg

you guys keep that crappppppppp up and I might have to give into the smokeless GODS yet. :think: remember what I said about the wife and here frying pans. :nono: :d'oh!: Please HONEY :goodman:

all i can say is i was hesitant, but was looking at the bad bull and ultimate for the last three years, but just couldnt justify over 3 grand for bare bones ml, found this board and researched and read till my eyes bleed and still reading, made the leap and for the money these sml are top notch in every respect, shot it a few times recently and all i can say is its worth every penny,,,,,,,, if you buy a savage ml your at 6-700 put a decent scope on it for 200 your pushing 1000 with quality rings and bases, so to aquire either a 700 conversion with a high quality barrel, or upgraded savage with top notch pacnor or mcgowen, for in most cases a few hundred more, plus most are already bedded and barrel floated so for me it was a no braniner,,,,,, and im glad i did!!!! and i think my 10 year old is too!@!! :roll:

these were his first three shots ever with this gun... and i hadnt dialed in scope yet but want it about 3" high at 100....

IMG_20110916_193230.jpg

IMG_20110916_191105.jpg

sqezer said:
you guys keep that crappppppppp up and I might have to give into the smokeless GODS yet. :think: remember what I said about the wife and here frying pans. :nono: :d'oh!: Please HONEY :goodman:

Soon you will join the Dark Side and feel the power of the Force when you stop smoking...or at least cut back :D

There is something about a 200gr bullet at over 2600fps that kicks less than a sub gun with 120gr of BH209 and makes less fps. Plus when you get home, you clean the bore IF you feel like it. :wink:

ooooo and the sound of smokeless when that 2.5 lb custom trigger ignites 59 gr of h4198 and that 200 grain hornandy leaves that custom .45 pacnor barrel!!! !!!!!! priceless!!!!! :lol:

Click the pics if you dare young Squeze Walker!!!

The 3rd shot was with 130gr of BH209 and i did let it push me but it gives you an idea of the advantage. The other loads were not cream puffs loads.

This is a near max load of N110 with a 260gr PT Gold bullet.

BTW this is from the NULA 50cal that only weighs 7lbs and shooting heavier bullets in the 2200-2300fps range. This weekend i should be able to take out the Pacnor 45 aka The Hammer. :D

nwtflogan6 has an even nicer build than my Pacnor 45 with all the bells and whistles. I still love my Knight 45s and i probably would not even have gone smokeless (mostly) if BH209 was only $22lb. I know where another nice one is for $1250 that is between his and mine in build "goodies". Its in like new condition and built by another one of the great builders on Dougs.

You can also down load with smaller amounts of faster powders and get into the BH0209 range or a bit higher with less than half as much powder by weight. Powder weight is part of the total ejecta weight and 40gr less powder seems to make more of a difference if FELT recoil than the extra 1000fps or more velocity.

nwtflogan6's son shooting is pretty similar to the results one of our younger ones too. They love being able to shoot the "adults" guns and occasionally beating us with our own guns. :D

You can still shoot BH209 if you wish or those big hunks of No Excuses lead with subs. The 1-22 twist should do just fine with 400gr+ conicals.

One of the best parts is that you are not limited by the few upgrades offered for smokers. Many parts for a Rem700 or Savage model 10 will fit these builds with only minor work. If barrels become damaged, you can thread in a new one. On a Savage its a very simple procedure if you have a barrel nut wrench and just a little bit of skill. Plus are able to follow directions....its quite simple actually to set the head space on a Savage. Loosen the barrel nut and thread the barrel deeper until it contacts the primer. Then re-tighten the barrel nut and check it again...basically speaking.

If you are used to reloading or at least can use a powder scale proficiently its just as safe IMO but you do have to pay attention. You have less room for error. They wont blow up but they might damage you barrel.

Be prepared for more tempting vids and pics if the weather is nice this weekend. BTW i think you can get a 45/70 barrel for your CVA Apex and have it converted by only adding a Savage or SMI breach plug. Its one of the least expensive ways to get a 45cal 1-20 and most conversion reviews are very positive.

Muahahaha :D

cant wait to see how that pacnor shoots gm!~~! im hoping to get mine out to 200 yards this weekend as well~~~ :lol:

Ive got nearly everything ready for out to 150 yards but most will be at 50 yards just trying to make bug hole groups. Any loads that make less than .75" groups at 50 yards will go on to the longer ranges until i can adjust the loads.

BTW Congrats again on yours. It was VERY nicely done and probably the best ive seen for sale. Usually ones like that have a permanent home.

yea i strive for as close to bug holes as possible at 100 but ill take em touching, gonna use the barrel cooler this weekend, and i bought a infra red thermometer so i can check inside barrel temps to really keep it consistant!!! thanks for the compliment and yes i lucked out on this one unfortunately due to jeffs shoulder injury!!! but he knows how much i love the rifkle and appreciate all his hard work not to mention all the heads this thing turns at the range......lol

P.S. i happen to know he will be selling a blue savage ml with the same custom stock as mine and stock barrel here very shortly ......very very reasonable,,,,, :wink:

funny thing is in over 15 years with a muzzleloader i have never shot this much or strived for bug holes.... lol going smokeless i want to shoot every day and tinker to !!!!! in the past id get my inline out about a week before season and make sure i was shooting 2 or 3 inch groups about 2' high at 100 and was happy i could shoot to 150..... whole different ballgame now.... :lol:

Latest posts

Back