Doe down?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the doe. Just curious... When you sighted in, was it considerably warmer than when you were hunting? From my experiences, the point of impact changes drastically if there's a big temperature difference between signting in and hunting. My typical hunting temps are between 25-45 degrees. If at all possible, I try to sight in when it's 55 or cooler.

[/QUOTE]I find that's what happens nine times out of ten. You would think they would run in the direction they were facing at the shot, but they seldom do. I think they instinctively return the way they came because they know that way was clear of threats when they passed through it.[/quote]

If they are hit, they normally leave in the direction they are facing. If they are untouched, many times they will drop a full body thickness, spin and head back from the direction they came.

Banerbird said:
Congrats on the doe. Just curious... When you sighted in, was it considerably warmer than when you were hunting? From my experiences, the point of impact changes drastically if there's a big temperature difference between signting in and hunting. My typical hunting temps are between 25-45 degrees. If at all possible, I try to sight in when it's 55 or cooler.

Yes sir it was much warmer during sight in than hunting.
I was getting hang fires and don't know why.
I havent picked it back up,deer season is still on here so I'm still carrying the 06.
I'm going back to the food plot next month for a 10 day ML hunt.
I'll have it worked out by then.

I find that's what happens nine times out of ten. You would think they would run in the direction they were facing at the shot, but they seldom do. I think they instinctively return the way they came because they know that way was clear of threats when they passed through it.[/quote]

If they are hit, they normally leave in the direction they are facing. If they are untouched, many times they will drop a full body thickness, spin and head back from the direction they came.[/quote]

I have to say in reflection that all the misses were most likely due to operator error or an ID10T error.
While I did get hang fires on the second and third shots the first two there was no hang fire.
I think I am not following through and keeping my head on the stock long enough for the gun to fire.Although the last shot did not feel right,like the recoil was to light.
A little range time will get it figured out.
I know I have good equipment more than capeable of doing the job so I need to get the shooter right.

Chick said:
Are you using loose powder or pellets?

I was shooting
CVA Kodiak 45 cal
90 grn BH-209
200 grn shockwave / cream sabot
CCI-M primer

I have a winchester apex and my gun is starting to hang fire also. However I have been reading on this sight and others that you need to use a drill bit that is the same size of the breach plugs firing hole and clean it out. Maybe you have a lot of residue in your fire hole. You might want to try to clean that out maybe that is why you had a hang fire.

River Rat

River Rat said:
I have a winchester apex and my gun is starting to hang fire also. However I have been reading on this sight and others that you need to use a drill bit that is the same size of the breach plugs firing hole and clean it out. Maybe you have a lot of residue in your fire hole. You might want to try to clean that out maybe that is why you had a hang fire.

River Rat

Let's don't be talkin about drillin out the residue in my fire hole.....................OH....in the breech plug!!!!!!!
Sorry.

I am usually pretty anal about my BP and my Fire hole.
I will be shooting the 45 quite a bit before my 10 day muzzy hunt next month and hope to figure it out.
I pulled the plug after the miss and the fire chanel was clear.

Back