Need Help On Black Horn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
Last year I bought a new remington genesis muzzle loader...did fine on the range. Hunting I had it mis fire twice...It has been a while since I have posted...I have shot muzzle loaders for 18 years so I have some experience but want your help.

Has anything been figured out why the blackhorn or is the blackhorn having issues with mis fires? I am shooting the CCI primers...know I am shooting clean gun and my plug is cleared...

Should I go pack to the 777 pellets never had an issue with them firing...I like the clean up and accuracy of the BH 209 but if the gun does not fire clean up and accuracy does not matter...

I appreciate your time and help...I appreciate honesty more than anything....

gun

turkey welcome to the show. I use BH209 and love it. Never had a misfire, and iuse CCI 209M primers. That M seems to make a difference in the ignition. Don't give up yet it is probably some small item.

I also use BH209 exclusively and thought it was great initially. Now, after having misfires with multiple primers (including CCIm), I'm not so sure. I had two during my range shooting last week. After all of these misfires, I replanted the sabot/bullet on the powder, put in a new primer, and the gun fired fine and hit near my other shots at 100 yards. I initially thought it was a problem with the primers (still possible, but it seems others have had problems also), but now I suspect it is the BH209. It's got me a little worried going into my deer hunt next week, but I have no time to work up another load. Crossing my fingers that I don't have problems in the field!

A tight fitting sabot could help with BH as well as a hot primer.

BH209

is the barrel dry whn shooting, in other words is there any resiual oils, waters etc that could have been left over in the barrel? Have you looked at the primers to make sure they were being struck ? Have you tried just shooting a primer in the gun to check for nstrike?

Bottom line is I have checked and double checked and put lots of time effort and money into all of it...primers are hot...barrel is dry...and gun is fitted with a tight sabot...for whatever reason under hunting conditions it has had a couple miss fires...everytime no...but I feel like the stuff is to high risk because others experience the same thing and no one knows a reason...I do not think it as a perfect powder as everyone thinks it is for hunting alone...

I've never had a misfire but I have had some hang fires when I first started to use BH 209. But after I started using firm (and I do mean firm) pressure to seat the sabot/bullet against the powder, Ive never had a problem.

Back