New muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewy84

Reaction score
I'm going to be picking up a new smoke pole and am planning to get a accura v2. I can't decide on what model to get. I want to be confident on a 200 yard shot at a white tail. Most of my shots will be 100 yards or less. Im not a walking chasing Hunter, I generally just sit and wait. At this point I don't think I will ever leave the state of Illinois to hunt. I hunt a timber with tractor paths every where so no rough train. The field next to me is about 225 yards wide witch is the longest shot. I could possibly get. I like the idea of the long range but don't know if I really need the 30 inch barrel. I'm really liking the Nikon inline xr scope, any thoughts? I had a Omega z2 and my lack of knowledge I could never get it to group. This round I plan on using bh209 instead of pellets and spending next summer really working with it. My influence before was always Magnum charge and after doing some research think that I was going about it all wrong. I plan on being in a box blind 12 ft high with a nice bench to rest the gun on. Sorry for being so detailed but want reliable opinions on my hunting style. Thanks

Be sure the gun is padded hard surface against it will cause inaccuracy. One of the most important things that is often overlooked is the bullet sabot fit to barrel, you need it snug enough to use both hands to push it down to loose or to tight will mess with your accuracy. It seems like a lot of people use a 250 grain Shock Wave and either a crush rib or short black Harvester for starting out to work on accuracy If you can not get reasonable accuracy with this load then start checking all the things that can cause inaccuracy.

I would choose the regular V2 with the twenty seven inch barrel. Imho the thirty inch barrel won't be any noticeable benefit over the twenty seven. If I were going to do some stalking type hunting I'd choose the twenty five inch MR. Remember to get the Black Horn breach plug. The inline xr is one of the best muzzleloader scopes on the market. I have one on an Omega Z5 and one on a Triumph. Most of my guns use 100 grns of Black Horn powder. In the summer I very rarely do any shooting. I like late winter through early spring temperatures so the barrel can cool down better between shots. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :yeah:

Stewy84 said:
I'm going to be picking up a new smoke pole and am planning to get a accura v2. I can't decide on what model to get. I want to be confident on a 200 yard shot at a white tail. Most of my shots will be 100 yards or less. Im not a walking chasing Hunter, I generally just sit and wait. At this point I don't think I will ever leave the state of Illinois to hunt. I hunt a timber with tractor paths every where so no rough train. The field next to me is about 225 yards wide witch is the longest shot. I could possibly get. I like the idea of the long range but don't know if I really need the 30 inch barrel. I'm really liking the Nikon inline xr scope, any thoughts? I had a Omega z2 and my lack of knowledge I could never get it to group. This round I plan on using bh209 instead of pellets and spending next summer really working with it. My influence before was always Magnum charge and after doing some research think that I was going about it all wrong. I plan on being in a box blind 12 ft high with a nice bench to rest the gun on. Sorry for being so detailed but want reliable opinions on my hunting style. Thanks

There's really not a modern inline made today that isn't capable of 200yd hunting, of course with work and LOTS of practice. IMO I don't believe you're going to gain enough with the longer barrel to make a significent difference at 200yds.

Scopes... Always a matter of opinion, but, if you plan on 200yd shooting, then I'd suggest a little higher variable, maybe 12x or 14x. Nikon makes great glass and the Monarch scopes I've owned in the past had excellent glass, however I had problems with them holding up to excessive shooting. I've sent 2 in for repairs, twice each. Many are now switching to Vortex. Which ever scope you decide on, just make sure it has good eye relief to prevent the "Tasco Tattoo".

Magnum charges..... IMO the rifle and bullet/sabot combination generally determines the charge. In many cases magnum charges may not group well, where in other cases they group just as fine as any other charge. If they group well and you're not recoil shy, nothing wrong with shooting magnum charges.

I have a friend that purchased the V2 last year and asked for some help. He's one that likes everything MAGNUM, so his charge to start was 120grs volume of BH209 (he'd purchased the BP to shoot BH) and a Barnes 209gr T-EZ bullet. Using a front rest and rear bag, he was able to hold 2" groups at 200yds after zeroing the rifle.

I was kinda in favor of trying the 290 Barnes. Also was considering getting a few different types of sabots from midsouth shooting , biggest selection I have found at 1 place. Maybe a box of 44 Caliber .430 Diameter 300 Grain FTX HORNADY to try with a few different sabots.im kinda a bigger fan of the heaver bullet. Also do boat tail bullets make a big difference? I hear ya on the scope thing, I've always had a hard time spending that kinda money for a good 1 so this time I'm not going to hold back but don't think I need to spend 500 on s scope. I'm willing to go to the 300 range if I get enough that agree on the same one. I will not settled on any group over 3 inches at 200 yards from a bench, ideally 2 inch. Put human factor into the equation pulling the trigger on a deer I think that is going to keep me in a 6 inch or hopefully less at 200. I've had 2 many times I've had to play clean up from hunters making poor shots. I was later bow hunting on my bday in Jan and had 3 bucks walk in. 2 we're nice the 3rd was a spike that was 3 legged, I really wanted one the of the others but had to smak the 3 legger. I know it happens but man y do I always have to clean up after my neighbors. Just sucks. Thanks guys

I bought 3 CVA Accuras, V2 for myself & MRs for my sons. I put the Nikon Inline Muzzleloader scope on the V2 & I shoot the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ bullets with 2 pellets of T7. This rifle is crazy accurate and easy to maintain.

Me, I'd buy a Knight UltraLite :mrgreen:

As to your question.... I would get the shorter barrel. Work up a good load and you should have no problem with that range, assuming you do your part. :yeah:

I really did consider a knight but not a big fan of the bolt. Just thinking that cleaning would be a pita vs a break action. Also really like the nitride barrel idea. I would imagine that the bolt action would be a bit more accurate but from my research think I can get good groups with a break. I'm not planning on going comp shooting or anything.

I've looked at all the models and thought I really wanted the lr but don't know if the extra barrel length is really going to gain me any accuracy. To me there's not enough of a price difference between models to let that be a factor. Thanks

Stewy84 said:
I've looked at all the models and thought I really wanted the lr but don't know if the extra barrel length is really going to gain me any accuracy. To me there's not enough of a price difference between models to let that be a factor. Thanks
The extra barrel length won't do a thing to make the rifle more accurate. It will gain a little muzzle velocity over the shorter barrels but not enough to be a factor for hunting, IMO. FWIW, I have both an Accura V2 and an Accura MR. I hunt with the Accura MR because it is light and the best balanced, best handling muzzleloader CVA makes, IMO.

Jay Shooter said:
Try lookin at the Optima V2 Nitride very nice for the price. :D
This is the gun going hunting with me tomorrow. Very accurate. The Accura has just a few bells and whistles that the Optima doesn't. For myself those bells and whistles weren't worth it. I guess you have to decide that for yourself. The Optima with a twenty six inch barrel balances nicely. I load up with 100 grns Black Horn and a 300 grn Thor. Topped off with a Federal 209A primer.

Just ordered the optima v2 nitride thumbhole 368.29 out the door my funds got cut a little short. That and I wanted the little extra cash for a few different types of bullets. I offered Barnes tez 300 grain and splitfire 285 to start with. Jug of blackhorn, the correct breach plug, cci 209 m primers, and a Nikon inline xr scope o and a powder scale. Thanks

Nice I think you will like it I'm ethier going with the Optima V2 Nitride or the Accura V2 Nitride.The Barnes bullets are nice also,im getting the Nikon Xr BDC inline Scope in a week or Two. :D

Jay Shooter said:
Nice I think you will like it I'm ethier going with the Optima V2 Nitride or the Accura V2 Nitride.The Barnes bullets are nice also,im getting the Nikon Xr BDC inline Scope in a week or Two. :D
The only place I could find that scope available is midsouth shooting. Unless you want the camo one.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-inli ... c-300.html

I have that scope mounted on my CVA Accura V2 and it is a tack driver.

kygWFcyl.jpg

Stewy84 said:
Just ordered the optima v2 nitride thumbhole 368.29 out the door my funds got cut a little short. That and I wanted the little extra cash for a few different types of bullets. I offered Barnes tez 300 grain and splitfire 285 to start with. Jug of blackhorn, the correct breach plug, cci 209 m primers, and a Nikon inline xr scope o and a powder scale. Thanks
Here's some loads you may want to take a look at. All shot with my Accura V2 this summer.
Left to right: Hornady .45 300 gn SST with a Harvester short smooth black sabot, CEB .430 250 gn Maximus with a Harvester smooth green sabot, Parker .45 275 gn BE with a Harvester red crush rib sabot, Hornady .430 265 gn FTX with a Harvester smooth green sabot, Hornady .458 250 gn Monoflex with a MMP HPH orange sabot.

Attachments

• 21273476_1985289861716316_6673495538173524074_o~1.jpg
    21273476_1985289861716316_6673495538173524074_o~1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 180

Latest posts

Back