New Knee

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having total knee replacement on 7/18. I'm sure someone on the forum has had this. Little scary to be honest. Any advice? Words of incouragement?
I only have words of encouragement for you. Trying to have a positive attitude, do your physical therapy, be patient with your recovery & do it at your pace. I shattered my pelvis, broke my right hip off & split pubic bone in half, split sacrum in half, broke back in 4 places, shattered entire right arm elbow & wrist ( 5 surgeries & external fixators 3 times from my bicep to my hand ), crushed foot - almost every bone & ankle, destroyed all my ribs, I'm held together with plates & long screws front to back & side to side. I have severe nerve damage on my right side as well. So I can certainly empathize with you & whats to come. I wish you well & a speedy recovery

I have had both my knees done, 5 yrs apart, last one being August 21. The first one had me scared like you but to be honest the pain relief from the bone on bone was immediate. You MUST do the physical therapy they assign and do not over do it. Take the drugs as they prescribed too. Staying ahead of the pain is key. I am very happy with my results and have full knee usage, though I do not run anymore.

John

A good friend is still recovering from his knee replacement surgery. It's been a long haul for him but he's getting better every day. Give yourself plenty of time, do the therapy as mentioned.

I only have words of encouragement for you. Trying to have a positive attitude, do your physical therapy, be patient with your recovery & do it at your pace. I shattered my pelvis, broke my right hip off & split pubic bone in half, split sacrum in half, broke back in 4 places, shattered entire right arm elbow & wrist ( 5 surgeries & external fixators 3 times from my bicep to my hand ), crushed foot - almost every bone & ankle, destroyed all my ribs, I'm held together with plates & long screws front to back & side to side. I have severe nerve damage on my right side as well. So I can certainly empathize with you & whats to come. I wish you well & a speedy recovery
Damn man, you get run over by a tank?

Thanks guys. The Surgeon said that I have one of the most arthritic knees he's ever seen. I should have done this years ago. Hopefully I'll be ready to go for deer season.

Only experience with knee surgery is from family members who had it done. My cousin had both done at the same time. He said he got along fine...
I broke my lower fibula in 93 coming out of a tree stand, still have 8 screw's in my ankle. Pain was bad, but kidney stones are worse!!
Like said manage the pain and follow the therapy you will be glad in the long run.
Still haven't figured out how my cousin wiped... 😆

+ a bunch on therapy. I only had 1 partial and after it the other one stopped hurting so only 1 for now. My older brother is getting ready to have both total replacements at the same time and also hoping to be ready for deer season. Best to you on your recovery rangerod.

I’ve never had that surgery, but have several friends and relatives who have. All have done well with the new knees.

I've had both done 18 months apart. The surgeries went very well for me and within six weeks I was getting around normally. Just remember that it takes a full year to be fully healed. First and most important, DO ALL YOUR PT. It will hurt and you might want to shoot your therapist, but this will be the path to a full and speedy recovery. As far as the pain meds, I took them as little as possible. I only took the opioids for the first couple days to sleep. After that it was OTC stuff. Good luck.

I had a knee replacement a few years ago. The surgery isn't a really big. deal itself but therapy isn't a lot of fun. You MUST do the therapy to get back your range of motion. Don't short change it, you'll regret it later. It's all good and isn't a terrible ordeal.

Good luck!

I have had both my knees done, 5 yrs apart, last one being August 21. The first one had me scared like you but to be honest the pain relief from the bone on bone was immediate. You MUST do the physical therapy they assign and do not over do it. Take the drugs as they prescribed too. Staying ahead of the pain is key. I am very happy with my results and have full knee usage, though I do not run anymore.

John
absolutely !
i had my left knee done about 6 years ago and my right hip about 4 1/2 years ago . i need to get my weight back down to get my right knee done . my lady i met 5 years ago is a sweet country girl and cooks like momma did so i've put on a few .... but yeah, doing PT is a big deal as is staying ahead of your pain . it's important to remember the meds aren't supposed to make you pain free , they're to knock the peak down to help you rest better . but do slowly push yourself a little more each day . i was told i could do the sheet/towel thing contracting and extending as much as i could tolerate that i couldn't hurt it unless i fell wrong on it so i gritted a lot and in about 7-8 days i could kind of hobble through the house without a walker , in about 10 days i quit using the motorized carts at wally world , and in 2 weeks i was cleared to drive and and mostly left the walker behind . the mobility i gained really improved my quality of life and gave me the ability to do a lot of work on our home . i'm very grateful for doctors and nurses !

Latest posts

Back