New Conical for my Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16 shots in all and the only residue in my accura are those black specks from the primers.
Some pics of the Accura.

Cool that seems to imply that part of my theory with a wad and APP was likely a good guess.....self swabbing.

Sofar i like it too over Pyro BY FAR. Similar FPS at lower pressure and MUCH MUCH cleaner. Still sounds like a good Conical option to me.

BTW i saw the SuperSticks, these look a bit different than the older sticks and the reviews have been better too. I dont think they have a SuperStick yet in 45, only the older sticks.

I wonder how an older 50gr stick would work with about 30gr or less of loose 3FG to fill in the voids of a square peg in a round hole. :?: Does it sound like a brain fart or.......?

Don't mean to butt in.Been reading all your reports FG .How does a wad after the powder keep a barrel cleaner?The powder burns behind the wad,so there shouldn't be any difference right?

You got me thinking about switching from 777 now.I have good results from that powder,little or no crud,but the powder your using is cheaper,and I'm digging your reviews on it.

Good shootin.

Cell

It helps remove fouling and/or some leading from the previous shot. Plus helps to lessen/prevent gas cutting on the soft lead just like a copper gas check on HV hardcast cartridge ammo.

But opinions vary....:D

I don't think a wad would be of much benefit at all with a hollow based bullet... might even make things worse. I would instead try filling that base with a dab of Crisco or bore butter (if you have some laying around).

Underclocked said:
I don't think a wad would be of much benefit at all with a hollow based bullet... might even make things worse. I would instead try filling that base with a dab of Crisco or bore butter (if you have some laying around).

With deep hollow base conicals,, i lean towards that opinion too but Hogdons T7 and Pyro load data recommends a felt wad even with the Hornady Great Plains with a deeper hollow base than Gander's.

IMO wads are probably better on flat base conicals or very shallow hollow bases.....a lot depends on the kind of powder and fps you need/want. Im hoping for a good shooting conical with only 80grs or less of BH209 or JSG but mine are 45cal.

The ones Gander is using look fairly shallow before firing but the base looks much deeper after firing. A better before and after pic of the base would be nice.

Maybe a smokesless type lube in the base with just a thinner fiber wad could be a good balance. APP strongly suggests against any natural lubes. Ive got both felt and fiber on hand for my "Ideal" Minies but they have a fairly deep base but a thick skirt like the Hornady.

They are similar to the 2nd from the left...AKA Improved Minie

bullets_muzzleloading.jpg

I will try a few variations to see what shoots best but these already have a Alox and moly blend on them. Duke's daughter was in an accident yesterday so i could not pick them up. Things are in place to give board members similar pricing to mine if there is enough interest.

Back