My New White Super 91 .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy whatever .45X Dan sells without a gas check or lube and run it through your own Hand Press and Lee die IF he cant size it for you or you just want to do it yourself. he might sell them cheaper like that too. The Die and Press is about $50 total with a bottle of liquid Alox and a "hopper to catch the sized "boolits". :D

Lee offers standard 45 dies in .451 .452 and .454 for about $17 each. Plus custom sizes for $35.

I don't like casting but i don't mind the rest of the reloading stuff. I have someone that casts all of mine but he is slow too. He made those 530s and loaded them for my Dads 45-110. In pure lead they are probably closer to 550gr.

I think they would be VERY interesting from this rifle. Long, heavy bullets should shoot well in a fast twist gun. I think Doc leans toward the heaviest bullets too but he shoots a lot of critters that can eat you. :shock:

With the 1/20 twist your new rifle may like the PRBullet .40x.45 240gr or 260 gr Elite saboted bullets. Or perhaps the .357"x.45 195gr saboted bullets. Cecil runs some pretty good sales this time of the year. I guess I can't get my brain wrapped around WHY a fellow would want to mess with heavy rainbow trajectory shooting slugs when there is better stuff out there to use. Unless the State mandates it in the law. Seems like a 460gr/488gr slug would send your lips out to the rear sight. You sure bought a beautiful rifle though. Get out and enjoy it!

You ask WHY?
Because lead conicals RULE!!
Those little pistol bullets work too but they do not carry the energy downrange like a heavy bullet.
The trajectory is predictable and repeatable and is basically a non factor on deer sized game if you are shooting 150 yards or less. If you are shooting further you need to know where your bullet is going and practice a bunch, just as you would need to with any other projectile.

I thought you guys were going to tell me something that I didn't know. I don't know about the ruling part, but I been there--done that 30 years ago. I wasn't impressed with them OR shotgun slugs. You guys must be a lot tougher and younger than I am. The pistol bullets that you cite (I use jacketed rifle bullets) are also a non-factor at 150yds or less. It's still a free country and we can choose to do what works for us whether it be the easy way or hard way. Good Shooting!

Mountainam said:
I thought you guys were going to tell me something that I didn't know. I don't know about the ruling part, but I been there--done that 30 years ago. I wasn't impressed with them OR shotgun slugs. You guys must be a lot tougher and younger than I am. The pistol bullets that you cite (I use jacketed rifle bullets) are also a non-factor at 150yds or less. It's still a free country and we can choose to do what works for us whether it be the easy way or hard way. Good Shooting!
Tougher, yes most likely. Younger, I doubt it. Yup it is a free country, that's why I wasn't the one knocking someone elses choice.

When i said RULE, im comparing them to a similar weight full bore 50cal.

Those 400gr+ .451s don't shed fps/fpe nearly as fast as a similar weight 50cal does. Leaving the barrel at say.....1300-1400fps, the 460gr .451 is still moving well over 1000fps past 160 yards.

That is great performance in my book and fairly cheap to shoot. Good ole Pyro or real BP works just fine and you don't need 100gr+ of powder to get the job done.

Im still holding out for a ThunderBolt in .451 unless i can find one of the ultra rare Knight DE658B 45cal target rifles.

JS, enjoy your White regardless of what you choose to shoot. That is a fantastic quality rifle and built to last several lifetimes.

Oh, they shoot those itty bitty 350 gr saboted bullets pretty good too. This was a test target with BH209 and a 209 conversion from 2008. Don't attempt this without proper safety gear, as I have personally deemed it not to be safe, due to primers being secondary projectiles. It will do almost as good with 777 and RWS 1075+ caps. :wink:

006-8.jpg

Long time ago, I was going to make a mold to cast for the .451 and I aksed Doc White what he thought was the optimum weight for the .451. He said he felt a connical weighing 475gr connical would be optimum in a 451. I know Lyman makes a 475gr Whitworth bullet that I use to shoot with great results. But I also got great results with 460 and 488gr connicals as well. Bottom line is try them all and see what your gun likes. Personally not much difference other than slightly less recoil and a little flatter trajectory with the lighter connical.

Sorry for getting testy yesterday. I personally think its great that different people are shooting all kinds of different bullets so we see that lots of different things work in a quality rifle. I just didn't like being told I had ridden the short bus to school because I prefer to shoot lead conicals. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mine have been spot on !

JStanley said:
Do you guys that use quick release rings have any trouble with your zero moving around much? Seems like the cleanup aspect would really benefit but I wonder about losing your zero every time you remove the scope. I suppose if you have a high quality set of rings & bases, and you pay attention to the details it would work well. I'd love to hear how it works for those who have tried it.

Ditto, if it is off it is so slight I've never noticed it. I have no fear of taking the scope off just before or during the hunting season when I clean my rifles.

Go for them

toytruck said:
Here are the base numbers for Warne Maxima for the White Super 91 (W Series rifle)

Front M846M

Rear M892M

These are for the matte finish.

If you want gloss finish the same numbers apply with a G after and for silver finish a S after.

Hope this helps!!

Do you put those two numbers together to get a set? I haven't found those exact numbers in the online stores. At LG Outdoors for example, the Warne 2-pc. bases have numbers like: M902876M.

Thanks again.

No, just as I listed them. You might call Warne, but I doubt they even make those bases anymore. I know for a fact they don't make the extended bases any longer, found that out myself when I was looking for them.

Might try using them as a reference for another base? Weaver maybe? Just guessing...

Did you try calling about the White bases listed above at Natchez?

You might give these guys a call:
http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/ or
http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/myweb ... prod03.htm Doc may still have some bases left, worth a try.

flounder said:
Sorry for getting testy yesterday. I personally think its great that different people are shooting all kinds of different bullets so we see that lots of different things work in a quality rifle. I just didn't like being told I had ridden the short bus to school because I prefer to shoot lead conicals. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lead Head :poke: :lol: :lol:

flounder said:
This would be one option Jackey:
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?c ... QUICKLEVER MED RNGS & BAS W STS

I looked at these and they look like a good option - one question: what brand are these? There wasn't any picture to go with the product.

Another question: since the Warne bases listed by toytruck are nearly impossible to find, what about the Leupold QR bases & rings? I also found Weaver 2 pc bases for the White W series at MidwayUSA but they are aluminum and not steel :?

Be blessed

The ones at Natchez are made by Warne. The bases are narrower than some of the ones out there would be the only negative thing I can think of about them. I have a set of them like these that came on my Super Safari and they seem to come back to zero just fine.

Back