My ball sack was empty

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
WHEW! Empty doesn't even detail how empty she 'war!

I picked up a lyman mould ( single cavity ) for a song and dance, but after today, I really am liking how that Lee 6 cavity mould looks. I love single cavity because you get a consistent ball diameter VS multi cavity... BUT.... one ball at a time just really takes a lot out of you at the end of the day.
51661610.jpg

Flux smoke ( beeswax & alox ) Having that big bay door open really helps suck out the bad stuff. I also have a window right next to the table along with my little fan to help suck the fumes away from me during the process.
51464710.jpg

Adding more lead to the pot. One consists of a mix of lead pipe & roofing lead and the other bar, is melted down chilled ( 7 1/2 bird shot ) lead.
51641810.jpg

51044310.jpg

I have half a ball full of ammo now, but that bag and another needs to be topped off before rendezvous starts in july.

Mine average 174.8 - 175.6 grains - So that is about as perfect as you could get IMO!
51291810.jpg

FG, I'm guessing you are adding the bird shot ingot to harden the final product??

Thats right Marty. Its actually fairly soft by itself, I just mix in the softer lead with it to keep it reasonable.

Latest posts

Back