Muzzleloader malfunction, very grafic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you read the whole story, the breach plug on the savage is not threaded on its entire length and eventually it appears that flame cutting begins to open up the sealing shoulder. This in turn allows the gases to reach areas that lack the strength to contain the pressures.

Sounds possible but who knows for sure...

They really want to blame the flame cutting on the breech plug on these failures. The problem with this theory is that no one has been able to reproduce this effect. Testers have actually created channels on the sealing surface of this plug and tried to recreate the problem without success. I don't know what happened here and will not speculate on it but I do shoot a savage and feel it is a safe firearm and take very strict precautions when shooting it and make sure everything is right with the gun. Witness marks are a must on any muzzleloader especially with the Savage.

DC

this incident happened at our range ..QUEBEC CANADA] i made a posting but got no responds [strange] maybe because i did not mention the type of ML ...the shooter damaged his left thumb and the person beside him got the scare of his life ..the ML was loaded with 42.5 gr. of IMR 4759 and the bullet was a BARNES 250 GR bullet .. we came to the conclussion that it was double loaded ..carelessness on the shooters part ..if he would have marked his ram-rod when ML was full loaded he could have made a quick check and noticed that he was overloaded ..

so please put a MARK your ram- rod ...heads up

Okie Hog-
If you read his article you would find out why he has an ax to grind with savage- I would too if one of their guns blew up in my face!

Back