Muzzle loader Bear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyAl

Reaction score
These are pics from my first ever animal harvested with my muzzle loader. I'm pretty much hooked and don't think (hope) it will be my last! :D

Hey Al! Nice lookin' bear you took there! He looks like a big 'ole dude! How much did he weigh? Looks like your using an Omega, I have one also. Very nice gun and a very nice trophy you took with it. Congratulations and welcome to the board!

Ya it's an omega I absolutely love shooting it! I'm not entirely sure of his weight but I estimate it was well over 400lbs. He measures 6' 5" nose to tail (no stretch) and I was surprised at how much fat was on him. I've been a member here for quite sometime and have enjoyed looking at all the pics and stories people post and have learned a fair amount along the way too.

Dang Al! That looks like one HUGE black bear! Great going!

We want details! Powder charge, bullet used, range, how far it went after the shot. etc! :D

Nice Bear.I saw your bear posted on another forum,by your guide.

Guide?

No guide did it all ourselves (me and 2 other buddy's) none of us ever baiting bears before. It was a cool experience, alot of work but well worth it! The biggest obsticale was the distance from home to where we hunt(about 430miles one way)250gr sst, 2 777 pellets, range about 28 yards he went about 50 yards I put an "insurance" round into him to be safe, but i don't think we would have had to. But with a critter as powerful as a big bear I'm not taking any chances! :D

That's just GREAT! I've never shot a bear with a muzzleloader myself but have with a centerfire.

No guide did it all ourselves (me and 2 other buddy's)

How did your buds do?

The 2 of us that were able to go up to hunt (my other buddy couldn't come, man is he kickin himself now!) we both saw lots of bears and each managed to get one. Here is Chris's bear (his first as well):

He shot his with a 308, 180gr soft point, from the same distance as mine (28yards) shot from the same stand 2 days prior.

bear

Kooooooool!! I bow killed one back in '97, it was estimated at 300 lbs and actually weighed 310. There was a formula used for estimating by measuring around the chest under his front legs, but i can't remember the formula. You might be able to Google it.

Back