Mowrey Gun Works inc muzzleloader kits ( Allen & Thurber in brass )

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlan22

Reaction score
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzga6tc7lhyys05/image2.jpeg?dl=0

Not sure how to get picture up so pasted a link.

Wondering if anyone has come across one of those kits? Been trying to do some research on them but not much showing up in searches. Mostly just the companies history. For the life of me I haven't even found an image of one still in kit form on the internet.
Starting to wonder if it's a rare item to have one in a compete untouched kit.

I personally have never seen one of these kits come up for sale. Brand new untouched! What a beautiful find! If you havent bought it yet, you better.

Actually have it sitting at the house, am still on shift up in camp till the 6th. Been itching to have a look at it. Original paper work/manual included.

Yes I think you will be very happy with it! What caliber is it?

Well that's going to be part of the surprise when I get home.
The guy I got it off didn't rember, and didn't see any indication on box. Will need to unwrap barrel to check cal stamp. Don't get to many kits up this ways so I jumped with out waiting to ask questions in case someone else was looking at it.

oh hell, I didn't even notice your location! That's a super rare find in your parts!

Welcome to the forum as well!

Jonathan

Thank you for the welcome.
Been shooting and building a few front stuffers for 12 years or so. Started coming an " introductory to primitive muzzleloading " course for an Outdoors Women's Program , giving ladies the opportunity to learn how to load and fire flintlocks and caplocks about three years ago after the wife volunteered me.

Any thoughts on what a kit like this is worth ? Are they still available down state side ? Did read somewhere that the last guys to have bought the rights might still have parts but we're no longer producing them , but think that info is a few years old.

Finally got home to check it out.
Barrel is 45 cal in a 1 in 60 twist ( was hoping for either a 36cal or a 54cal barrel )
Serial number 7731
Paper work saying that it was made in Texas, and the news paper that was wrapped around the brass forestock is dated Dec 1977.
Even had an extra main spring in the parts bag.

Ethan Allen Rifles, copies sold by Mowrey in Olin TX. USA.  Mowrey went out of business around (1982 -1984 ?). Deer Creek Muzzleloading Supplies bought the gunworks and parts. Dixie Gun Works probably had as many parts, some original parts from the Ethan Allen days too.

Deer Creek should have plenty of parts on hand able to make needed parts - lock stock and barrels. 

Mowrey has always advised to replaced the brass reciever with a steel one from them. With heavy load brass will start to stretch.  DC still makes the brass receivers and also offer it in steel. 

Some claim the brass reciever model was rare around 1959 - 1960, not many made. This is not true the brass receivers have been around for years, it was hard to find a steel receiver back in the day. 

You would always see the not so rare brass all the time. In a family of shooters you would see the wives and kids with these little copies of the Ethan Allen Rifles while the husband had a TC Hawken.

man did you hit the jackpot. you will have to figure out the twist of the barrel of yours before you shoot it. they did fast twist and slow twist. if its a slow twist it roundball. if its fast, it is sabot, paperpatch or lead bullet bump up. finish it right and you will have quite a rifle. worked with a fellow years ago who had one of these and he loved it.

Back