45 verses 50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
I am looking at a Knight Disc Elite in Stainless and Black composite stock. I have wanted one for a while but did not have the extra cash for it. I already have an MK 95 Magnum elite but would like to add a Disc elite to the safe. I have one located but it is in 45cal. I would really like to have a 50 cal but that is mostly due to the fact that I have always shot a 50. These are unfortunately getting hard to find.

So I would like your opinions on the 45 cal verses the 50 cal. It would mostly be used for deer hunting.

Thanks,

ShawnT

Ps. If you know of a NIB Disc elite 50 cal SS composite please let me know.

I've got 3 of them in SS. Get the SS version!

They have tight 45 cal bores and shoot PR Qt 195's, Powebelt-225-300 grainer's, 200grain shockwaves, XTP 10mm/40cal 200grainers, PR Dead Centers 357cal/195-215grainer's, All the Barnes type copper from 175 and up, all from MOA to 2 inch groups :shock: :D 8)

Using 70-150 grains of APP/Shokey's Gold/Pinnacle powders :wink:

What more could ya want :?:

Hey Shawn,

From what I understand, if it's an older fast twist (1-20") stay away. As for the 1-28" or 1-30" twist 45cal in-lines out there I've heard some praises but also others have said they can be finicky when it comes to accuracy. With that being said I do know that White 45s' which are 1-20" twist shoot very well but their designed around firing heavy weight conicals, 430 to 500 grains :shock:

Whitesmoke

lane,

We were posting at the same time so I didn't see your message before I posted, do all three of your Knight 45s' shoot that well, what's the twist on them and what's loading like since they have 'tight' bores?

Whitesmoke

shawn i picked up a .45 caliber disc elite from bass pro shops about a year ago. i think that the .50 caliber is more versatile, but for whitetail deer hunting, this rifle is all i will ever need. it is not finnicky. the first load i tried out of it (200 g. hornady sst and 100 g. t7) literally shot one-hole groups at the 50 yard range i was at. the twist rate is 1-30". i dont know about other .45's, but if my example is any indication, the .45 caliber disc elites are tackdrivers

ShawnT is correct, 1 in 30.

And yes they all shoot that well. Those Green Mountain SS barrels are very strong and shoot like lasers. All of them seem tight as compared to CVA's I've had before. The PR QT 195 and the XTP 10mm/40cal in a Harvester Crushed Rib both load easy and deliver MOA down range while being pushed with 120grains Shockey's Gold or Pinnacle 3Fg loose powder.

Took a doe thru the neck at 90 yards during our reg rifle season, using a 200grain Shockwave and 120grains of Shockey's Gold

The one that potentially holds a lot of promise is the PR Dead Center 195grain .357 cal/45 bullet. This also is an MOA, BUT is way hard to load :shock: :x .

However the 357 cal holds all kinds of potential with cast lead bullets 8) I've just purchased and set-up a Lyman bullet sizer with 4 dies: .357, .356, .355, and .354(all half price from Ebay :wink: ) I'm pretty sure that my "perfect" size will fall somewhere in this range. I'll then match up some DeadCenters and a host of cast bullets in 195-230grain, and see how far I can push them. 150grains will be my limit. I'm looking for a high-speed "cheap" hunting load, that?s EASY to load and shoots great. :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Lane,

How do you like the Shockys gold powder. I tried some of the Sticks in my 50 cal and did not really like them. They were clean enough but I did not like the way the sticks had to be forced into the barrel and I had some Delay firing. Sometimes I could swear that both sticks did not fully light. Recoil and sound was too light and the shot would drop way out of the group. I gave the crap away and went back to pyrodex pellets. I have had very good luck with them for hunting loads. 2 pellets shoot the same group size as 110 grains of Pyrodex select in my MK 95 Mag Elite.

Thanks again,

Shawn T

Shawn,I tried the sticks too. I found that unlike the pellets,you have to crush them when seating the bullet. If you don't you get a delayed ignition. They weren't up to power either. I have 3 cans of them left,I use them for plinking loads,to rattle cans. My powder of choice is Triple Seven,the most consistancy,and power per grain of anything going. You will get a crud ring,but it's easy to deal with. :D

btw, shawn you should hang onto that mk95, those thing are hard to come by. i know, ive looked :D

n8dawg6,

Thanks for the reply. I had not heard that you needed to "Crush" those sticks. I'll stick with the Pyrodex. BTW. You could never get me to part with my MK95. I have absolute confidence in the way it shoots. It's my primary meat gun. If it gets in front of it, it goes down! :wink:

Thanks again

ShawnT

Back