mountain men

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Watching tonights episode of Mountain Men on the history channel. Tom and his brother are pulling an " all nighter" and building a custom $2000 Hawken. The piece they start out with is ROUGH... But by morning, holy smokes! They turned that cherry stocked .58cal Hawken into a lyman great plains rifle over night!!  :lol:  :lol:  What a crock! I felt so dirty that they lied so poorly on that episode. Just goes to show you how set up these shows are and how willingly the cast will play along.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3WQ8dveNSoI" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Personally knowing these two, they have very little say in what the producers want to film, just like Hollywood (it's about get the product out and move on). That's the prop department's lack of knowledge on weapons, if it isn't an AR15 or another type weapon these guys are blank.  You ask them about researching and they'll laugh at you, their company isn't going to pay for someone to waste time doing research.

30 - 40 years ago if you were known to have knowledge of what was going to be produced, there was a good chance they (the producers) would run you down, hire you for a month and pick your brain about what was or wasn't correct. A good friend and myself have had that experience several times. Good money and cared for very nicely.

FrontierGander said:
Watching tonights episode of Mountain Men on the history channel. Tom and his brother are pulling an " all nighter" and building a custom $2000 Hawken. The piece they start out with is ROUGH... But by morning, holy smokes! They turned that cherry stocked .58cal Hawken into a lyman great plains rifle over night!!  :lol:  :lol:  What a crock! I felt so dirty that they lied so poorly on that episode. Just goes to show you how set up these shows are and how willingly the cast will play along.
FG
Watched the SAME show had the SAME exact thought!!!! What a bunch o' Horse Crap!!!  I don't care if there were 5 guys working on that rifle? It would take more than an "all nighter" to pull off that museum grade piece. I've made a few over the years, and I can tell ya.' you don't start out with a Chunk of wood like what I saw, and end up with that Beauty in 8 or 9 hours BS!!  To me, that's a slap in the face of EVERY great rifle maker who EVER lived or IS living!!
One other place where I'm in agreement with you. If these "Mountain Men" were as true and loyal to their roots as they portray themselves to be on the series, they'd NEVER try to dupe the public like they do! Their sense of historical honor and morality wouldn't allow it. It's ALL about the Big Money!!!
Just agreeing. Thanks fer listenin'
Stoney

Supposed to be a master gun builder and blues a Hawken? You guys are right. That was a GPR. What an insult that was and I bet they'll hear about it.

Another phony program is that family that lived in Alaska and is now in Colorado. The one with a gazillion kids with IQ's of 50. I read that the whole thing is staged and they never lived in the bush.

I gave up watching all those shows. I'd rather watch Gunsmoke re-runs.

OldMtnMan said:
Supposed to be a master gun builder and blues a Hawken? You guys are right. That was a GPR. What an insult that was and I bet they'll hear about it.

Another phony program is that family that lived in Alaska and is now in Colorado. The one with a gazillion kids with IQ's of 50. I read that the whole thing is staged and they never lived in the bush.

I gave up watching all those shows. I'd rather watch Gunsmoke re-runs.
Hi Pete
Yeah, I've been watching Alaskan Bush People since it first came on. NOT anymore!!! They live in California in a $500,000.00 mansion on 200 acres during the off filming season. I've been curious too about how someone with NO money to speak of, buys 400 acres in Northern Colorado and where they get the money to buy all the crap they have? Each season the old guy "Billy" shows up with a 1/2 million dollar road grader or a $150,000.00 Skid steer? Makes me a little leery about how they make money?  Also, they claimed to NOT know anything of the modern world down here in the Lower 48, yet they always had cell phones and occasionally talked about tweeting, facebook, and social media. I guess they forgot that they claimed NOT to know anything about that stuff. I remember when the History Channel photographers were asking them question about TV personalities and common things here, and they looked at the interviewers like they were from another planet on some of the questions they asked.
Again...just my $.02
Pete, ya'. still looking for a priming horn?
Stoney

Thats what I was thinking also it sure looks like my Lyman Great Plains that I built from a kit . It sure took me alot longer then that and I browned mine .

Stoney for the length of time to build a flintlock or percussion gun of "museum grade" (that term means nothing, I have seen more crap than anything special in the archives of some pretty good museums). Kit Revenger (English Armor) on a bet built a matchlock in 16 hours at Ft. deChartre in IL starting with a blank piece of walnut. What tickled me was he used a tomahawk to shape the stock, then went to a hoof rasp for final shaping. He had it assembled in less than 15 hours and we got to shoot the gun on the 16th hour. 

Oh, $500K is not a mansion anymore Stoney, that's the cost of a middle class home in the Rocky Mountains. My new home is over $650K without landscaping or garden shed (add another 75K) and it's one of the lower cost homes here with the model being listed at 1.2 million.

Cost of heavy equipment seems no matter what it is the monthly payment isn't bad I have a nephew just out of college got a new CAT track hoe and trailer that was over $175K. He's busy with the building here, makes his payments and feeds a family with a little going into saving. So that's not a big deal, just need to work the equipment to make the payments.

For what they do is not their call. I talked to Tom at Bridger a few years ago after the tourists had left and he told me at this point in his life he tired of trying to correct what these producers want, just takes the pay check and runs. I have known the Oar brothers since the late 70's or early 80's when they were still bull riding and Tom was a World Class bull rider (would see them at Cody Rodeo Days every year). It's all about getting a paycheck on any of these programs.

I know of three late original Samuel Hawken rifles that show signs of blued barrels and locks Pete. Doc White just had Carl Walker build a reproduction of one of these rifles for a client of GRRW.CA. 

Guys most of these characters we see on these programs make over $50K plus per show. I saw the in the paper the blonde on that program "The Big Bang Theory" makes well over $500K per show. For that kind of money we would all jump through hoops if told too then run to the bank.

I know some Hawkens were blued. However, almost everybody who buys a custom Hawken now will want it browned. Including me.

They had to show it blued because that's how the GPR comes. The producers should be hung on the nearest tree. Tom seems like a good guy. It's a shame what they put him through.

OldMtnMan said:
I know some Hawkens were blued. However, almost everybody who buys a custom Hawken now will want it browned. Including me.
You would be surprised how many ask about "fire blued" parts when having a GRRW.CA Hawken or Leman built. Doc White is writing an article for Muzzle Blast about this very subject at this time. 

Yes, but browning looks so much better. Especially, when it's half worn off.  :D

Manufacturing that smoker overnight certainly does raise an eye brow.   The magic of Hollywood at its finest.

The fastest we have seen an excellent long rifle built was done in 5 days by Jack Brooks (https://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/) and his team with each member having an assigned piece of the build. They built everything out of raw materials, lock, stock and barrel. Jack is known for his high quality firearms.

Latest posts

Back