Keeping powder fresh

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
Whats the best way to store 209 primers and Pyrodex powder? Im thinking in a zip lock bag in a dry box in my un-heated garage. Primers and powder seperated of course.

quigley said:
Whats the best way to store 209 primers and Pyrodex powder? Im thinking in a zip lock bag in a dry box in my un-heated garage. Primers and powder seperated of course.

I always keeped my supplys in the basement with no issues. I'm talking 60* to 90*. {woodburner} A lot of fellas use the silicon packets in there powder. I've had primers for 6 yrs. w/o corrosion. Don't beleive I would put them in a plastic bag. I would make a spot in a closet or a kitchen cupboard before storing them in the garage.

I store my unopened powders in a box in a cool dry place. I keep my primers on a shelf in the gun room. My open powders are kept in the gun room as well.

traditionalrifles043.jpg

This is the first time I ever had pellets go bad. I think when I bought them they were bad. But I have stored my open powder like this for years and never had a problem.

I'am shooting black powder that is close to 40years old !! Primers to. 8) 8) KEEPING ROOM AT CONSTANT TEMP. :shock:

Latest posts

Back