Most memorable....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contenderfan

Reaction score
My very first ML harvest of a deer was the most memorable, unfortunately for reasons other than being my first ML kill. It was early in gun season and unusually warm. I was hunting a small corn stubble field that was 235 yards long by 50 yards wide. On the west side of the field was about 50 yards of thicket with several nice trails coming from a river crossing beside the field. I picked a ground spot on the southh-west corner of the field with my back against a large tree. after two hours and no sign of deer my full bladder was near bursting...thats when I discovered I had forgotten to take my pee bottle.
Not wanting to pee on the ground and spook anything that came through later on I decided to sneak over to the river to answer natures call. The bank sloped down quite steep and was chest high when I got situated. I leaned my rifle, an old borrowed Renegade .54 caliber against a small tree and proceeded to relieve myself. Thats when I caught movement to my left. What I thought was an average sized doe was walking straight towards me down the river bank. After murmering a hushed expletitive, I tried to shut off in mid stream while slowly getting the Renegade beside me. By the time I slowly shouldered the gun and slowly turned to a position I could fire the deer was literally 5 yards from me and looking away from me. When I pulled the trigger I think I singed the hair right off its side, it took two long leaps and piled up. I scrambled up the bank and went over to the deer realizing it was an unusually large single spike buck and not a doe. Thrilled with my first blackpowder harvest I was pumping my fist in the air and patting myself on the back. Im just glad that there was no one there to snap a picture of the moment...It was then I realised that my johnson was still hanging out for all of creation to see. My freiends and family got quite a kick out of the story, my hunting buddy still tells me to this day..."If your not seein anything, whip it out maybe it will change your luck." :D

First off let me welcome you to the forum...

As for the deer, congratulations. The .54 caliber Renegade is a real meat getting rifle. Also something about the first muzzleloader deer makes them real special. As for your deer attractant, well to each their own.. :D Again congratulations on the deer...

A " Renegade" moment

We only hope you have more "Renegade" moments :D :D

choc-dog

Latest posts

Back