We're not the only ones...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm watching with a certain level of disgust and disbelief, the growing fight in the archery crowd regarding crossbows.I guess its the stick and string equivelent of the inline/sidehammer fight.I'm sorry to see that there is another group of equally foolish people out there. This has got to stop...

I do understand what your saying...that said.I use a bow,and don't care what the other guy is using.Even tho I can't use a crossbow out here in California.If I could..I'm not sure if I would.

I wonder what ever happened to" you use what you like and I'll do the same."? If I see somebody using something different or something I have no interest in using, my usual question is " How's it working out for you?" I remember one year I ran into a fella hunting in the DEEP woods with an observatory equipped 30-378 Weatherby loaded with 200 grain bullets for deer.Hey, as long as its not illegal, immoral or fattening ENJOY YOURSELF! I see these birds on tv shooting critters way past 400 yards ( one guy got a grizzly at 800 yards).They're good shots , but to me that's not hunting its shooting.To them I say enjoy yourself ( and the walk). Just cuz I wont doesn't mean you cant.

I set up a lot of people with compounds that probably should be using a crossbow. I don't care for crossbows myself but I hear a lot of stories around the shop about wounded deer and poor shots under pressure.
don't get me wrong, I lose deer too. I hate it but it happens. I'm just talking about folks who aren't willing to put in the practice.

mcrik

Its true with any weapon. If you respect the animal,the tradition and the experience then you must know your weapon and put in your time at the range. Its a duty and an obligation.Like I told my daughter about deciding to take a shot. If you're not 100% sure , DONT SHOOT. Let it walk, you'll always have another chance and you won't be lying in bed staring at the ceiling wondering where that critter got to.

Confederate rifleman said:
Its true with any weapon. If you respect the animal,the tradition and the experience then you must know your weapon and put in your time at the range. Its a duty and an obligation.Like I told my daughter about deciding to take a shot. If you're not 100% sure , DONT SHOOT. Let it walk, you'll always have another chance and you won't be lying in bed staring at the ceiling wondering where that critter got to.

Amen.

okay if I ever heard a compound shooter with overdraw, carbon fiber arrows, pin sights blah blah blah complain about someone shooting a crossbow I would seriously ROFLMAO

mcrik said:
Confederate rifleman said:

Amen.

Great posts guys. I feel exactly the same way. Also, I have got some of my nicest deer with a crossbow. In Ohio, the crossbow season runs right with the archery season. I have seen the snobbery directed at CB users too.
Now you want to talk about "primitive hunting".. I am also a licensed falconer... hunt with a red-tailed hawk.. nobody ever asked about the squirrelhawker name.. ha ha

squirrelhawker,

I'd like to see that Redtail in action!

mcrik

mcrik said:
squirrelhawker,

I'd like to see that Redtail in action!

mcrik

It is a lot of fun. I have had this bird since trapping season 2000. We have taken probably over 200 squirrels the last 9 seasons. I have been thinking about releasing her and trapping another immature bird this fall...not sure.

I'm not sure, but have'nt crossbows been around for hundreds of years? How long have compound bows been around?

Latest posts

Back