Max load blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWcur10

Reaction score
I have a new 45 cal. Traditions striker fire. The book only shows 50 cal data and says 84 gr(W) /120 (V). But I have read that 45. Cal has a 77 gr by (W) max . Traditions won't answer the phone Or has not for me. How do I know when in strating to get to close to a max load ? Is their tell tell signs ? And would the max powder not decrease with the bullet weight increases?

I tried blackthorn in my .50 striker Fire and to say the least it doesn’t work. For some reason it won’t even ignite it.

As light at that rifle is you wont want a max charge anyway. I'd start lower and let your shoulder tell you when max is, that and the target will tell you. Just don't exceed the mfr. max load, bad things happen when BH209 is overloaded! I know of two rifles that detonated and fingers were mangled, scopes went flying !!!

What primer did you use ?
Federal and CCI . I gave up on it and am sticking with my omega.
The primers cannot be those that are muzzleloader specific if that's the case in either of these. Also, this sounds like it's a breech plug issue. Not all breech plugs like to play well with BH209.

As to the original posters question. I have a hard time believing that your gun would not see its best accuracy using BH209 powder somewhere just under the 77 weighed grains of powder, more like 63 to 70 weighed grains.

The primers cannot be those that are muzzleloader specific if that's the case in either of these. Also, this sounds like it's a breech plug issue. Not all breech plugs like to play well with BH209.

As to the original posters question. I have a hard time believing that your gun would not see its best accuracy using BH209 powder somewhere just under the 77 weighed grains of powder, more like 63 to 70 weighed grains.
So the only chance I have had to shot this gun I was shooting 80 gr. By weight and 285 elr. And it was horrible. So I figured I wasn't hot enough. You think I should drop down to 63 and work up?

So the only chance I have had to shot this gun I was shooting 80 gr. By weight and 285 elr. And it was horrible. So I figured I wasn't hot enough. You think I should drop down to 63 and work up?
Max loads or even close to max loads rarely shoot well. I’d back it down to 60 and go from there

I use 68g by weight with 250g./ 300g. Aerolites in my optima 50 cal. with good results.

Usually 100 gr by Volume is a great starting point. Barnes bullets are an excellent choice. Also agree with Mr. Tom on the breech plug issue. One question how tight is the fit of the ELR bullet to the bore of the gun. If it slides down like a hot dog in a hallway it is not a good choice. BH209 likes a nice tight fit.

Latest posts

Back