Lube barrel not bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i553

Reaction score
I noticed that there are few (none?) lubed, .54 maxi balls for sale these days.
Question: Why not lube the barrel and not the maxi ball? For example, after loading and before capping, run a lubed patch down the barrel.
Assuming that’s feasible, think of the time saved compared to lubing and removing excess lube from individual maxi balls. Using Crisco, cheaper too.
I look forward to receiving your answers. Thank you in advance.

P.S. The stupid questions are the ones not asked.

Question: Why not lube the barrel and not the maxi ball? For example, after loading and before capping, run a lubed patch down the barrel.
Assuming that’s feasible, think of the time saved compared to lubing and removing excess lube from individual maxi balls. Using Crisco, cheaper too.

For N-SSA competition, I just dip lube the base rings of a minie and move on. We don't wipe between shots either.

That said, I recommend against Crisco if you're serious about accuracy. What I found was the old "Blood Mud" formula of Crisco worked just fine, but since they did away with the bad parts, not so much. I've tested it head to head with tallow and lard and in every case, Crisco didn't deliver the accuracy possible with the other two.

As for lubing the barrel, try it. I'll check back later.

I'll let you know. I thought the same thing about it adding time. Then I thought, what if I put a lubed patch over the ram rod while seating the bullet? That would save a step. I believe the bullet should be somewhat lubed in any case. It would make it easier to seat.

For N-SSA competition, I just dip lube the base rings of a minie and move on. We don't wipe between shots either.

That said, I recommend against Crisco if you're serious about accuracy. What I found was the old "Blood Mud" formula of Crisco worked just fine, but since they did away with the bad parts, not so much. I've tested it head to head with tallow and lard and in every case, Crisco didn't deliver the accuracy possible with the other two.

As for lubing the barrel, try it. I'll check back later.
Tallow and lard. I'll give that a try. Thank you.

When I cast Maxi balls I pan lube only the bottom ring. I just stand them up in an alum cake pan and add enough lube to cover the first ring and pop them in a toaster oven until the lube is completely liquified. (my own toaster over I picked up at a thrift store. for goodness sake don't use your wife's. she'll likely get upset).
Now this is important.. I push them out from the bottom but don't do it the same day. The lube may look solidified but it won't stick to the bullet well until the following day when its good and cured.
The nice part about pan lubing is, if you're careful removing the bullets, you have holes in the lube for your next batch. All you need to do is put the bullets in the holes and add just a bit more lube.

Thank you. I'm new here. I'm amazed at all the kind, informative answers. Thanks to all!

Try no excuses excellent round

Sounds like it would take more time to lube after every shot than to lube your bullets all at once in advance. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Give it a try and let us know how it works.
I guess that depends Diablo. If you swab between shots like I do, it wouldn't be too much of a problem the run a lubed patch down the bore. It would only take a couple seconds. And for a bullet like the Maxi it might be beneficial. Remember the top ring is the largest diameter on that style. The lube is behind it. So having the barrel lubed may not be a bad idea. It may reduce leading. Still I'd rather lube the bullets. Its worked for a couple hundred years.

I have some powder coated, I will post results when I shoot them. 50 Maxi

If you do that I would recommend a loading tube , otherwise the powder will stick all along the lubed barrel wherever it touches . Personally i qould stick to lubing the bullets .

BPS08122023_0001w.jpg
1-28 twist
1.350"
Powder coated TC Maxi with 1/16 poly wad
Clean bore for each shot.

Last edited:
I think the lube should be on the bullet, i know if you want to open up your groups, run a lubed patch down the bore,, you might be able to get one good shot that way?? i don't think you could duplicate much after you've lined the barrel with powder,, even swabbing,, unless you did a full clean..
If you do that I would recommend a loading tube , otherwise the powder will stick all along the lubed barrel wherever it touches . Personally i qould stick to lubing the bullets .
you can get excellent lubed 54 cal bullets from no excuses.. they shot very well in my 54 renegade barrel.

Back