Bullet Lubes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought 2 types of bullet lube and will make some of my own.

To each pound of lube, I intend to add a 2.6 oz. bottle of Stihl Ultra Synthetic 2 stroke Engine Oil and maybe a stick of beeswax as needed.

I bought Bull Shop's Nasa lube for my serious shooting ($35 per lb+ shipping) add Stihl Oil

SPG ($30 per pound + shipping) add Stihl Oil, for most other applications, with the exception of plinking bullets. I don't want to spent too much to lube a Maxi-Ball and other plinking rounds.

My plinking lube will be 8 oz of Beef tallow, 4 oz Aloe Vera gel, 4 oz, of Refined Avocado oil, Stihl oil and Beeswax. I used to use crisco with tallow, but Crisco changed their formula and its smoke and flash points are much, much lower than before.

I looked into other oils, i.e. peanut and neatsfoot oil, but none of those have as high of a smoke & flash point as the 2, I used. There is a special kind of Canola oil that does, but it is expensive.
My Total cost per pound, $12.

Is my thinking sound?
Is my own recipe a good one?

Last edited:
I bought 2 types of bullet lube and will make some of my own.

To each pound of lube, I intend to add a 2.6 oz. bottle of Stihl Ultra Synthetic 2 stroke Engine Oil and maybe a stick of beeswax as needed.

I bought Bull Shop's Nasa lube for my serious shooting ($35 per lb+ shipping) add Stihl Oil

SPG ($30 per pound + shipping) add Stihl Oil, for most other applications, with the exception of plinking bullets. I don't want to spent too much to lube a Maxi-Ball and other plinking rounds.

My plinking lube will be 8 oz of Beef tallow, 4 oz of Extra Virgin Olive oil, 4 oz, of Refined Avocado oil, Stihl oil and Beeswax. I used to use crisco with tallow, but Crisco changed their formula and its smoke and flash points are much, much lower than before.

I looked into other oils, i.e. peanut and neatsfoot oil, and aloe, but none of those have as high of a smoke & flash point as the 2, I used. There is a special kind of Canola oil that does, but it is expensive.
My Total cost per pound, $12.

Is my thinking sound?
Is my own recipe a good one?

if you use oil it should be synthetic

Some people like the lube to be soft. If it gets too soft it is messy to work with. That's why people say with 1lb of NASA or SPG lube, add 1/2 a bottle of that Sthil oil at a time to get the texture you like. Personally, I used 1 bottle with a 1 lb lube. But you may like half a bottle?

For my 1st attempt at lubing I wanted to keep it as simple as possible so i just went with veggie oil and beeswax. 1st attempt was too soft/messy. Adjusted beeswax until I got what i wanted. The ratio you want may change with the temperature. Have fun experimenting by making small batches. To speed things up you can cool them in the fridge.

I think i will split my lube and mix up half into a winter blend with more Stihl Ultra oil in it.
I was thinking of splitting mine when I blend it for the same reason. When I pour my Winter blend into containers, I'll leave half of it in the pot and add a stick of beeswax for the hotter months.

My advise to you would be to not over think things. Keep your lube formula simple and repeatable and make a SMALL batch to start with. X
OK. 1/4 lb of Crisco, 1/4 lb of Beef Tallow, 1/2 a bottle of Stihl Oil & Beeswax.
That is simple. I thought of adding Safflower oil (600*-700*F Flash point) or Aloe.
But why? I don't even know if that stuff works in a bullet lube.

Thoughts on xlox lube for conicals, specifically tumble lube? 45-45-10/Deluxe Liquid Xlox – 32oz Bottle Liquid Alox tumble lube [] - $19.53 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I have a big bottle and find that a plastic bag with a small amount added goes a long way to getting stuff lubed, but haven't shot any yet.

Powder coat also prevents lead in the barrel, but nothing for powder fouling. I've tried powder coat and commercial patch lube with good success, but need to try just the PC bullets to see how it works.

Back