Love my Omega!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I hunted the last 4 days of ML'er with my TC Omega. The rifle was loaded and sat in the cold for 4 days straight, temps as low as 15 degrees at night. I ALWAYS degrease the bore and BP with rubbing alcohol before I load. I did not shoot a fowling shot, nor did I pop a couple 209's before loading. Loaded it up with a squeaky clean barrel. So after the four days of hunting and no shots on a legal buck, I decided to shoot the rifle to see how it would print. Can't argue with those results! :dance2:
3.jpg

Wow, awesome results. I haven’t shot ML’s in a long time but when I did I had to change loads daily or risk a misfire. Then again I was shooting a side lock.

I have an Omega as well. Have owned it for several decades but never shot it. I plan to shoot it ASAP. Can you advise on type of powder or pellets and bullets?

That is the great thing about loading on a clean bore. You don't have to unload until you are ready. That's the way I do it all the time. Typically I load up for early ML (usually start of Nov) and don't unload until the season runs out in early Jan, or when I shoot at a deer. My results are just as you describe, every time. I've done it with multiple rifles, multiple powders, etc. Never an issue with firing or the rifle bore. I accidentally left a pyrodex load in one of my stainless MK-85's for a whole year many years ago, and fired it at a buck on the opening day of ML season the following years. It fired as if I loaded it that morning, and I got the buck. The blessing was that the bore was still perfect. I don't recommend doing that though, what a dummy I was LOL :bang: 😁

That is the great thing about loading on a clean bore. You don't have to unload until you are ready. That's the way I do it all the time. Typically I load up for early ML (usually start of Nov) and don't unload until the season runs out in early Jan, or when I shoot at a deer. My results are just as you describe, every time. I've done it with multiple rifles, multiple powders, etc. Never an issue with firing or the rifle bore. I accidentally left a pyrodex load in one of my stainless MK-85's for a whole year many years ago, and fired it at a buck on the opening day of ML season the following years. It fired as if I loaded it that morning, and I got the buck. The blessing was that the bore was still perfect. I don't recommend doing that though, what a dummy I was LOL :bang: 😁
I’ve had similar results with an Omega loaded in November and not fired until the following September, dead center every time.

I have an Omega as well. Have owned it for several decades but never shot it. I plan to shoot it ASAP. Can you advise on type of powder or pellets and bullets?
I use Triple 7 FFG powder, as it’s priced right, and readily available. I haven’t tried any pellet form of powder. I shoot a bullet that I cast myself. It’s a LEE mold dropping a 310 gr .430 dia bullet, and I use Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. This combo shoots real well outta my Omega out to 250 yds.

Attachments

• B1AF8707-41BC-48B2-9D9A-2E9DEFCA07EF.jpeg
    B1AF8707-41BC-48B2-9D9A-2E9DEFCA07EF.jpeg
    929.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 037903FA-0EB3-4454-8FEC-D2504686875D.jpeg
    037903FA-0EB3-4454-8FEC-D2504686875D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I use Triple 7 FFG powder, as it’s priced right, and readily available. I haven’t tried any pellet form of powder. I shoot a bullet that I cast myself. It’s a LEE mold dropping a 310 gr .430 dia bullet, and I use Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. This combo shoots real well outta my Omega out to 250 yds.
Reason for the paper??

2 Triple Seven pellets and a 250gr sabot load have always given me the best accuracy by far, my son and I have taken dozens of buck w this combo in our Omegas, my longest was a shade under 140 yards

Very nice bullet, I wish I could cast my own but don’t have the space to do it. Adds new meaning to harvesting game with something you made.

2 Triple Seven pellets and a 250gr sabot load have always given me the best accuracy by far, my son and I have taken dozens of buck w this combo in our Omegas, my longest was a shade under 140 yards
I purchased white hots today. I used to use loose Pyrodex, then the pellets and had good success. At the time I was using a TC White Mountain Carbine and loved it.

Reason for the paper??
The Paper Patched bullet is a different bullet, not the same as the sabot bullet. It was he only photo I had on my phone showing the sabot bullet, so that’s why it’s there.

But the paper patched bullet is a full bore LEE 501 S & W 440 gr bullet I tried in my Omega. With the QLA muzzle on the Omega these bullets did not shoot very well.

Back