long range accuracy 209 vs no. 11 caps.??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
Has anyone done an accuracy test of 209 primers vs the no.11 percussion caps, in the side lock, i notice the gibbs style rifles shoot the cap & do quite well in competition,, (or could it be 209 rigs are not legal??) Thanks in advance!! just thinking.....

Over the years I've noticed that I get best accuracy with the least powerful primer/ cap consistent with good ignition.
In the same rifles/ same loads, a Traditions Tracker ( started as a 209 then converted to musket/11s) T/C Black Diamond ( started as musket an went to #11s)and a T/C Omega. In the Omega, 209s and small rifle/ pistol primers in Variflame adapters.
Uniformly, accuracy improved going to the lesser primer. Usually about 20% improvement with the same loads.
Used T7 in the Tracker and Omega and T7 and Swiss Holy Black in the Black Diamond.
Ymmv.
Good fortune to ya!

Confederate, it seems I've heard, don't know if its true, that muzzleloader 209 primers were not as hot as standard 209 primers. Reason was that the std primers had enough pressure to jump the charge/bullet slightly before igniting the powder. Now that might have been just an advertising gimmick to boost sales or it may be true.
Your experience shows that it just may be correct.

I've heard the same thing myself. Try this, safely!
Put a tight patch on a rammer and pop a #11.
Do the same thing with a musket and 209.
Careful where you point the 209...
In fairness, a lot of matches have been won, and records set, with various flavors of 209. With BH209, you just can't get away from them.

Confederate, it seems I've heard, don't know if its true, that muzzleloader 209 primers were not as hot as standard 209 primers. Reason was that the std primers had enough pressure to jump the charge/bullet slightly before igniting the powder. Now that might have been just an advertising gimmick to boost sales or it may be true.
Your experience shows that it just may be correct.
I decided to do some testing using Fed 209 and Winchester 209 shotshell primers and a couple different brands of the muzzleloader specific primers to try and determine if in fact the primers could "lift" a charge and bullet prior to ignition but the test went to hell since every time I pulled the trigger the gun went off and I had no way to make a measurement. I was using FFg T7 granular for this to start but switched to FFFg to see if that mattered. Nope. I sure wish someone could find a way to make for certain that the standard primers can do this lift trick while using everything one would use to actually shoot..... meaning using actual black powder or an appropriate sub. I sure can't and it pisses me off that I used valuable primers to determine nothing. Accuracy certainly wasn't affected. My advice? Don't worry about it or you'll likely end up losing sleep or wasting valuable time and money over something you have no control over. It's easier to find some other reason your accuracy isn't so hot. Try a mirror first.

Back