Limited components: Good possible load to test first? (275gr sabot / BH 209 in Encore)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inny94

Reaction score
I've got limited components so really want to limit the amount of testing I need to do. Shooting an Encore, Parker 275gr Black Max, and Blackhorn 209.

I'd like to find a decent load in 12 shots or less. Try 3 each of 90gr, 100gr, 110gr, 120gr (by volume)?

Is there any disadvantage to weighing by weight (I don't have have a volume measure currently, but do have a good scale). (Assuming BH .7 conversion factor is still valid?)

Sounds like a plan, go for it. :lewis:

Encore platform rifles really like 105 to 110grs VOLUME of BH.
Thanks for tip. Is there value testing both weights? Just try 110 and see?
I'm used to the choice of 2 or 3 pellets and that's what you get, but on the other hand, $2.25/shot with limited availability of powder and not wanting to buy another 50 of these bullets means I don't want to be shooting for marginal gains or no gains in performance.

I think the loose powder in the four weights you mention is far better than just shooting one or two weights and definitely better than burning pellets. The single bullet would also drive me nuts. I don't like to "settle" for anything including what loads work best in my guns. I can understand the hesitation in buying a box of fifty bullets, shooting a dozen and then trying another bullet and getting much better result, leaving you with a half a box of expensive bullets that maybe won't be used. I have a dozen or so of those boxes but I use them for condition shooting....shooting to stay in touch with trigger squeeze and hold rather than point of aim. I know where the guns shoot with my hunting loads but one has to stay in tune with his guns during the off season to stay sharp when its time to pull the trigger on a critter. If I was "settling" on a load with a couple pellets and just one bullet I'd always wonder "what if". It would make me crazy.

Thanks for tip. Is there value testing both weights? Just try 110 and see?
I'm used to the choice of 2 or 3 pellets and that's what you get, but on the other hand, $2.25/shot with limited availability of powder and not wanting to buy another 50 of these bullets means I don't want to be shooting for marginal gains or no gains in performance.
The information consisting of 105 to 110grs is by ....... VOLUME. Not by weight.

110grs VOLUME works well.

Back