Lightning strikes TWICE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had coin in pocket, so I went gun shopping.
Went to the same place I bought my laminated Hawken. I see a Browning Mountain Rifle on the rack and I'm guessing $500 + easy.
$250! I check the bore, .50 cal, and no gremlins. I toddle over to the register and a salesman asks to see if he can get me a better price(!). I got her for $230 out the door!
Other than a couple minor handling dings, hardly worth the mention, she's near perfect. Fit and finish is superb and she handles better than any half stock I've had. LOVE the single set trigger too. The lock is a marvel. Smooth as silk.
The browning is nicely done and very even. The wood looks a bit thirsty, so I hope it's a linseed oil finish... The stock is a lightish walnut and very well shaped.
The rear sight is a bullseye for the type on a Lyman Plains. Not really digging that. But it does work.
She's a ball gun with the slow twist and rifling deep enough to trip over.
This is the first JBMR I've seen or handled. Very impressive rifle gun. Hope she shoots as good as she looks!
Anyway to date them?

Attachments

• 15912006582971378907790.jpg
    15912006582971378907790.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 15912006864641216463917.jpg
    15912006864641216463917.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The only knock on that gun is the single set trigger, and if your's works well then you are good to go..

I think the barrels were rifled 1:66" for patched ball.

I like that the butt plate has less hook than most Hawken, or Plains rifles.

Congratulations on a wonderful deal on a great rifle!!

Thanks Bruce.
The single set is new to me and, at first blush, I'm liking it!
I've seen the rifling reported as 1-62 and 1-66.
The stock drop is similar to the Lyman Plains, and the long tang is eye catching. No gap between it and the barrel.
She's no featherweight, but doesn't seem that heavy.
The only thing I believe they messed up was leaving the hammerspur uncheckered. Slick little booger...
Something tells me I'm gonna have good times with this fine rifle!

Thanks Bruce.
The single set is new to me and, at first blush, I'm liking it!
I've seen the rifling reported as 1-62 and 1-66.
The stock drop is similar to the Lyman Plains, and the long tang is eye catching. No gap between it and the barrel.
She's no featherweight, but doesn't seem that heavy.
The only thing I believe they messed up was leaving the hammerspur uncheckered. Slick little booger...
Something tells me I'm gonna have good times with this fine rifle!
A good gunsmith should be able to checker the spur on the hammer for a nominal fee.

AWESOME DEAL CR!! Back when I bought my CVA MR i was hoping to find one of these Browning MR’s Reasonably priced as well, I Did see a Couple of the Old Browning MR’s New in the Box Sell for a 1,000 to 1,200 Which was Well out of my Price Range. They are a Nice Looking Old Muzzleloader, The Full Curl Ram incorporated in the Breech Plug is Classy :lewis:

CONGRATS on the New Rifle! I hope it shoots well for ya!

The ram's horn is a nice touch. This is a handsome piece to be sure. Curiously though, this one requires a much more deliberate action when shouldering. My TC Hawken is much more natural in this regard.
I did a bit more cleaning of the bore and I must say for a cut rifled barrel, its exceptionally smooth. Nice and shiney too!
So far, I haven't found anything to not like about this one.
Range report to follow!

Back