Knight Disc Extreme Red "New" Disc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishtofish

Reaction score
The 209's are really hard to put into ther disc. I found a tool on the Knight Web Site that has helped in pressing the 209's into the disc & there isa tool for putting the disc intothe rifle.

I hear that the New Disc (Red) can be used over. Some say they clean them in dish soap and put new 209's in them and they are ready to go. Does anyone have an easy way to get the used 209 out of the disc? THey are in there tight.

I took a piece of hardwood and put one inch legs along two side. I then drilled a hole the size of the fat end of the red disc in the top of the hardwood block about a half inch deep. Then I set an empty red disc in that hole and drilled a hole the size of the primer hole through the block. After I got that, I made the counter sunk primer hole just a little bigger.

Then I took a nail the size of the primer hole and ground the end flat. I stick the spent primer in the wood and with a hammer drive the spend primer out of the jacket and through the block of wood where I can sweep it away after a while.

Thanks Cayuga,

Great Idea...... I used the same thinking.....

I went out to the barn and got into the toolbox (I have more tools than I can use, Dad was I mechanic at Ford Motor Co.) I inherited all of his tools.....

Took a Disc with me, found that a that a 3/8" socket is smaller than the wide side of the disc rim & the inside of the socket is larger than the 209 primer. I put the large side of the disc down on the socket & used a phillips head screwdriver as a punch to knock the primer out into the socket. Thern I dumped the primer out and thru the disc into some hot soapy water.....

I too knock out the spent primers and reuse the disc. You will notice that the primer will get easier and easier to insert as you reuse the disc. After about three times I chuck them and start over. For hunting I always use a new disc. I too have a wood block that I made up to drop them in to knock out the spent primers

DC

To install a primer...

Place the primer on a table (business end up) then push the jacket onto it with the wooden end of a hammer handle. The weight of the hammer makes the job easier. Real easy peasy!
For removal i do as Cayuga said.

I use a shotgun reloader to deprime and prime. Just barely works, as the hole sizes are almost too big on the deprime function.

sabotloader said:
UC

In the weather I hunt in I really do prefer the FPJ - seals the BP from moisture....

What is a FPJ, I'm guessing Full Plastic Jacket?

It is a new breechplug with an adapter that fits into the end of the bolt body that allows a bare primer to be used. I do not know the part # off the top of my head, but it is available on the Knight website. It keeps the receiver area very clean. The only drawback is it is a little harder to load/unload than the FPJ set-up. I have been using it all year, 3 containers of BH 209, and I like it better than the FPJ set-up I used last year. Others do not.

I thought the whole purpose of the "Disc" was to keep everything dry. I looked it up on the Knight Site. It seems that the conversion kit defeats that purpose. :eek:

I for one like the red plastic disc. To prime or deprime I use my MEC 600 shot shell reloader. Works like a charm. Used disc are put in the disch washer and washed with everything else. The disc can be reused many many times.

wishtofish

I thought the whole purpose of the "Disc" was to keep everything dry. I looked it up on the Knight Site. It seems that the conversion kit defeats that purpose.

You are correct.. and i really still prefer the FPJ (full plasitc conversion) to the bare primer NFPJ conversion, but there are a lot of people that prefer the bare primer...

And I do also reuse the plastic jackets - many time befroe pitching them. But while hunting I only use new jackets...

Latest posts

Back