New Gun - Where to Start??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I don't understand the problem. They can't ship you powder & primers. You're gonna have to play with the gun to get it to shoot properly.

I prefer Knight accessories. I avoid Traditions and Redhead accessories because I've had problems with them..

Where in Indiana

I would look at prbullet.com the duplex dead centers and T7 powder at walmart after the season....you can get it at a great price. The T7 209 primers are improved with less fouling too.

Fort Wayne, IN

New Gun

250 grain shockwave, CCI 209M primer and 2 / 50 grain T7 pellets of 100-110 grains measured of BH209. Don't make this so hard, get out and shoot it using one of those configs. You are over thinking, you need to shoulder and shoot about 50 rounds, get comfy then buy STUFF!

I had to buy stuff just to get out there. Got BH 209, Winchester W209 primers; tubes, funnel and pour spout for measuring powder. It turns out my powder measure for my old double barreled pistol is good to 120 grains, so I believe I'm good to go.
I just spent my vacation replacing the house drain pipes and my son took so much of the work out his poor old dads' hands that I promised him I'd take him with when I take it out for the first time. He also helped me measure out our charges.
My previous post was mainly asking if T/C customer service was always so half hearted. I would have been shooting my week off if I had known T/C WASN"T sending me everything I needed to shoot and I could have purchasd the rest before their kit arrived.

Welcome
Sounds like you have chosen a fine rifle and bullet
DON'T fall for the 150 grain hype with the BDC scope
I see no need to EVER shoot that much powder.
The advice you have recieved above should get you going
There are allot of good bullets to choose from,get one that suites your animals,shot distances and placement,and what you expect it to do.
Do you want a pass through?do you want expansion and no pass through?

I am guilty of falling for the media advertising hype for super hot loads and extreme long range shooting,all well and good but if your shots (like mine) are rarely past 100 yards,more like 50 yard average at small deer (100 pound average) whats the point of punishing loads and super fast long range bullets.
Load Your weapon for YOUR conditions and dont worry about what the TV stars are using,they are paid by these companys to do what they do.not putting them down just make up your own mind.
The guys here will get you started,they arent paid by anyone.

shooting

Nugent, sorry I reread sounded gruff. You will get tons of info. I am going threw it now w/ my flinter. I was not being pissy when I said get out and shoot it, write down what you are doing like distance, loads, bullets etc. and things that bother you while shooting, things like not enough pre measured tubes of powder, primers hard ot get at in box, etc. Then you can start looking and asking on here for a remedy. It might suprise you how fast and easy this stuff is. P.S> Tell your son it is time to wrap your hands aruond the gun instead of his piping. Good luck!.

The only "hype" I've bought into is all I've read here, and I've taken that advice to heart. Right now I don't even know where I'll be hunting next year, but am thinking of a state park nearby, which is mostly wooded and close distances. I got the Nikon BDC for future use. I expect to settle on 300 gr. bullets and 90 - 110 gr. BH 209. I presently have six tubes each of weighed charges from 80 - 120 gr. (in 5 gr. increments) of BH 209 ready to play. I've got 15 250 gr T/C SWs, 40 - 250 gr. Hornady SSTs, 25 - 300 gr SSTs, (Previous all in .45 cal.) 100 short black Harvester sabots, and another 40 - 300 gr. Hornady JHP/ XTP in .44 cal. on order. I intend to load a comfortable load for me that is also accurate. I'm not a real big guy so I will be taking it easy; a big load I'll flinch from won't be accurate. I now have all I need to shoot except a day when my son and I are both free!

Sounds like a good plan. Have you bore sighted the scope? Might save you some powder and bullets.

Now THERE is a problem. I have the camo/weathershield Triumph and am looking for matte stainless or camo see-thru rings and mounts. After all, I didn't buy a camo rifle and scope to put black rings on it. I've been through the local Cabelas' looking but there doesn't seem to be much out there for the Triumph, but I haven't really started a serious search yet.

Nuge, I think you should just reconsider on the see-thrus. They mostly suck. Get some of those nice TC/Warne QDs in camo and be happy. :D

BUT, if you have to have them for some totally bizarre reason :wink:

38-888-003-00 SEE-THRU RINGS REALTREE HARDWOODS 1" $19.99
38-888-002-00 SEE-THRU RINGS MOSSY OAK BREAK-UP 1" $19.99

at Bass Pro online

There's no hurry on the scope; I don't expect to be able to hunt out west for at least another five years. I expect most of my shots to actually be within BOW range; open sights would be my preference at those ranges therefore I feel the need for a see-thru mount. Also. there does seem to be some hammer clearance problems with M/Ls. Is there a problem with that set up on muzzle loaders?

Depends upon how big the eyepiece on your scope is to be and how you position the scope. Standard high rings should almost always be plenty but you may find medium will work well with some scopes. If you aren't used to scopes, let me suggest that is best to keep the scope lower rather than higher (again, with a lot of variables).

I've got a Simmons Deerfield 3-9x 40 on my 10/22 mounted with Weaver see-thru rings and hi rise mount, and a scoped pistol. I believe I ended up with one of the bigger scopes, too; the Nikon Omega w/BDC; it looks HUGE! Sounds like I need to take my gear to a few of the local shops to find exactly what I'll need rather than searching the 'net. I am a patient man and will wait to find what I want rather than rush into something that's not right just to get the scope mounted.

kahnke guns

Anyone on here had anything to do with Kahnke guns , what little infor out there seems very good bout them .

Re: shooting

Bucker said:
Nugent, sorry I reread sounded gruff. You will get tons of info. I am going threw it now w/ my flinter. I was not being pissy when I said get out and shoot it, write down what you are doing like distance, loads, bullets etc. and things that bother you while shooting, things like not enough pre measured tubes of powder, primers hard ot get at in box, etc. Then you can start looking and asking on here for a remedy. It might suprise you how fast and easy this stuff is. P.S> Tell your son it is time to wrap your hands aruond the gun instead of his piping. Good luck!.

Son is married with two daughters; his hands are quite full with little time for his "piping". :wink:

Back