Lee REAL Bullets and a T/C Thunder Hawk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using a Lee REAL Bullet in a T/C Thunder Hawk (50 cal)? Good. bad, or otherwise? Which worked better 250 or 320 grains? Any and all feedback, would be welcome. Thanks

I tried 250gr in mine with wool wad. Shot poorly for me. Tried 80-100 gr. Of 2fg blk. Powder. Went back to the Tried and true break o way with 240xtp. One ragged hole at 100 yards. I have all 21in brl carbines they all seem to prefer this load.

Please explain what you mean by a break away (sabot) with 240 gr. of powder (or is that the bullet weight)?

It was a 3 piece sabot that t/c used to make, but discontinued. The green Hornady sabot with 240 grain xtp was a very close second in accuracy.

240 grain bullet, 200 grain shoot to same point of aim too. Also 80 -100 grains of powder(black) showed no accuracy difference.

Thank you for the clarification. Did you try the REAL bullets without a wool wad?

No, I figured 6in at 50yrds was poor enough. I have better luck with the wad under the bullet.

Not a true comparison to the REAL bullets but I tried a 245 gr Powerbelt in my 21in barrel version and got about 4 inches at 50 yards using 90 grs of Pyrodex. Next time I out it will be with the 240gr XTP or a Deep curl in the green harvester crush rib sabot.
John

I have cast and used Lee REAL bullets in my 50 cal percussion Investarms and Pedersoli Hawkens. They shoot extremely well for me and the expansion is great. They are not supposed to be used with a patch. Pour a little Alox (from Lee) over the bullets and get good coverage by swishing them around in a round bowl, then let them dry. They go down right after the powder. I have used anywhere from 40 grains to 100 grains of pyrodex or goex 2f and have had no problems. At 100 feet I can get two to three inch groupings. They have been very accurate for me.

I have cast and used Lee REAL bullets in my 50 cal percussion Investarms and Pedersoli Hawkens. They shoot extremely well for me and the expansion is great. They are not supposed to be used with a patch. Pour a little Alox (from Lee) over the bullets and get good coverage by swishing them around in a round bowl, then let them dry. They go down right after the powder. I have used anywhere from 40 grains to 100 grains of pyrodex or goex 2f and have had no problems. At 100 feet I can get two to three inch groupings. They have been very accurate for me.
Never used it with real black as it turns to tar ,subs are different (I GUESS) so I"ve been told/ Ed

Back