Learning Curves n ML's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for you folks, I recently bought a reproduction 1863 Zouave Rifle. Took it to the range and got 1 shot out of it. We went back to friend's shop and disassembled it. Got to the breech plug, wasn't sure how/ if to proceed from there. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated. Keep your powder dry!!

Question for you folks, I recently bought a reproduction 1863 Zouave Rifle. Took it to the range and got 1 shot out of it. We went back to friend's shop and disassembled it. Got to the breech plug, wasn't sure how/ if to proceed from there. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated. Keep your powder dry!!
Ok fill us in on the problem you are having as i did not grasp what you conveyed

Ok fill us in on the problem you are having as i did not grasp what you conveyed
Sorry for that. Question I have is do I have to/need to remove the breech plug to really clean out the residue in the barrel? The plug has an index mark on it that marries up with one on the barrel. Thanks for the advise.

Sorry for that. Question I have is do I have to/need to remove the breech plug to really clean out the residue in the barrel? The plug has an index mark on it that marries up with one on the barrel. Thanks for the advise.
No you do not, i would gently remove the nipple. I would drape a clean rag over that area. Take either a bore mop or cleaning with patch n clean with soapy water. Dry everything well apply decent coat of oil to all metal Put dap of antiseize on nipple threads after its been cleaned n install it

No you do not, i would gently remove the nipple. I would drape a clean rag over that area. Take either a bore mop or cleaning with patch n clean with soapy water. Dry everything well apply decent coat of oil to all metal Put dap of antiseize on nipple threads after its been cleaned n install it
Thank you very much for the advise, I greatly appreciate it. Have never owned a black powder weapon before, so wasn't sure of proper cleaning process.

Wish i known of what ML's has Patent breech was back before i ever bought my 1st T/C n this latest dumb buy of a Pedersoli.
I knew the Pedersoli rifles had them. I was unaware of the T/C rifles having them. What I did know about my T/Cs was, I had to use a rounded end breech plug scraper to clean the breech plug, but I didn't know why.

I was told to use a .22 bore brush with a patch on the Pedersolis. We live & learn. I still love my Renegades. And the Pedersolis I have. Cleaning isn't as cut & dry as it once was. It takes about 5 minutes to clean the Patent Breech for the first time (maybe longer if its really full of crud) and about 2-3 every time thereafter.

I shoot both English black and French Amber. I'm biased toward anything French and some folks do say they're a bit better thank english but I've not noticed any difference.

Some flints lat 20 shots some last 80, it's to do with the lock, your knapping skills and the nature of the individual rock.

As for antechamber/patent breeches there is nothing wrong with them if they are maintained properly. 5 of my 6 muzzleloaders have them, including my main hunting rifle and I don't recall the last failure to fire I had.
Edit: actually I do, it was my non chambered breech fusil.

Is the Zouave the rifle the Buffalo Soldiers predominately used?
How do you like the rifle? What make is it?
Not Buffalo soldier here but the Rem. Zouave was never actually issued during the Civil War. It was made n about 12,000 were stock piled in the building Armory at the end of the War.

Latest posts

Back