Learning Curves n ML's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is one of those things that i have fallen into n just smells terrible. Wish i known of what ML's has Patent breech was back before i ever bought my 1st T/C n this latest dumb buy of a Pedersoli. I would have passed on them, i had a really good H&R .45 with a BP that i sold to buy the 1st T/C Hawken. My problem is all the hard earned samolians i have wasted buying them. Bad enough to be a smuck but seems like i don't learn before i lose my shirt-tail

LOL. Don't take it to heart. People have been shooting Patent breeches for years and years and years.
They ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

LOL. Don't take it to heart. People have been shooting Patent breeches for years and years and years.
They ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
What can i say for 50 years i have had Blinders on. Spect i can sell them n lose more money, or wait til i am about to croak n build a great hot fire n throw them in one at a time n smile as i watch my money burn !

I guess the problem would be i am a sheeple or i was a sheeple . I had my eyes opened about the Patent breech, but had bought some ML's n did not know they had them in them. Dumb n gulible would fit i suppose

I guess I am still not seeing the problem what is it you dont like about a Patent breech

Do you swab between shots ? I am of a habit of swabbing between shots with a patch sprayed with some 71% alcohol and then followed with a clean patch. I run the wet patch down and then flip over and run down again,then do the same with a dry patch, then load. I am not having any problems with my two Lyman GPR or my New Englander. Seems the patent breech the norm of the mass production world. I am to old to change now but I look back and wish I would have just had one nice Flint Lock customed built and been done with it. We all have hindsight, just never seems to be enough money though.
The patent breech does add an extra process to my cleaning ritual. I first use a breech scraper, followed by a 36 cal. bore brush , then I plug the touch hole or nipple and fill the bore with a mix of Ballistol and water or Dawn dish soap and water and let it sit for at least 10 minutes, after which I just do the normal stuff with the pumping action with range rod and patch.When I dry, I wrap a cleaning patch around the 36 cal. brush and give that some twists down in the breech, same with adding some rust preventative oil of which I only use Barricade for that, nothing else. I lube my patches with TOTW Mink oil. So far,no miss fires or flash in the pan poof.
Good luck!

When I'm at the range, I'll point the muzzle towards the ground after the shot. A few good taps on the side of the barrel will dislodge some of the fouling and it will dump out onto the ground. It's that loose stuff that can fall into the patient breech.
I don't swab the barrel with the butt stock resting on the ground either. I lay the gun down on the table. Also, I make short up and down strokes with the cleaning rod when swabbing, not a full stroke all the way around and back.
I think the short stroke method grabs the fouling on the patch instead of pushing it further down the barrel.
I'm sure you already do but make sure to pick the touch hole before you prime the pan to loosen up the powder charge. It helps with ignition.

At the range my cleaning is 91% alcohol patch run down & flipped run down. Then i do the dry patch the same way. I have no problems with my T/C's Hawken or Renegade. I don't have a problem with my Traditions Woodsman Hawken Flintlock. All of my troubles / problems is with this Pedersoli Scout Flintlock. I love the way it handles n feels while you use it to hunt with. Its the pits with its sights n cleaning n trying to get it to shoot, oh yeah it loves to ruin a flint on the 1st or 2nd shot. I am just put out with it, if i can't get it doing right this Spring. Then i will decide what fire to burn it in

Smashing flints could be caused by several things. Too strong of a main spring or frizzen spring.
You could try flipping the flint, bevel up or down. Different size flint, maybe?
I'm just not familiar with Pedersoli flintlocks.

Smashing flints could be caused by several things. Too strong of a main spring or frizzen spring.
You could try flipping the flint, bevel up or down. Different size flint, maybe?
I'm just not familiar with Pedersoli flintlocks.
Morning to you, i have filed n polished the Frizzen springn cleaned it n the Lock. Waiting on better weather to see how it works. Flints i got from TOW are big humped will only fit hump up. So i won't buy anymore Tom Fuller blk english flints

FWIW I got near 45 shots out of my .54 percussion without cleaning before some crud got shoved down in front of the flash hole causing pop-but-no-booms.

FWIW I got near 45 shots out of my .54 percussion without cleaning before some crud got shoved down in front of the flash hole causing pop-but-no-booms.
I don't own a perc. Pedersoli but i do own couple of T/C perc. they don't give me any trouble. I pull the wedge n stick them in hot soapy water for good cleaning. Dry n oil them til next use

Morning to you, i have filed n polished the Frizzen springn cleaned it n the Lock. Waiting on better weather to see how it works. Flints i got from TOW are big humped will only fit hump up. So i won't buy anymore Tom Fuller blk english flints
Sounds like you have the bases covered. Worst case thing would be to send the lock out to be tuned. I can't remember the guys name at the moment, maybe someone will chime in.
He does good work from what I've read.
I haven't bought any flints from Track to the Wolf in a while but you're not the first person who said their flints are kinda hump back.

Back